This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2016 / 52°12'5"N
Longitude: 0.1188 / 0°7'7"E
OS Eastings: 544892
OS Northings: 258042
OS Grid: TL448580
Mapcode National: GBR L79.T0Y
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.0XMN
Entry Name: Pembroke College, the Chapel with Hitcham's Cloister
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47202
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Less
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The Chapel, with Hitcham's Cloister.
tl 4458 SE 6/277 26.4.50
The Chapel 1663-5. By Sir Christopher Wren, extended one bay Eastwards
in 1880 by George Gilbert Scott, the existing East end being re-erected.
It is the earliest completed work by Wren. Built of Portland stone with
a Corinthian order, inspired possibly by Serlio. There is an hexagonal
cupola on the roof. Original lead rainwater heads with the initial W the
original interior features include an elaborate plaster ceiling, oak communion
rails, panelling and stalls, marble pavements and oak reredos, the organ
is 1707 by Bernard Smith, restored 1863.
Hitcham's Cloister, 1664-6. Six bay arcade, each end one being of the
late C19. Ashlared ground floor, range of brick chambers above. All
restored in late C19. (RCHM).
Listing NGR: TL4489258042
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings