This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5777 / 51°34'39"N
Longitude: -0.7507 / 0°45'2"W
OS Eastings: 486664
OS Northings: 187277
OS Grid: SU866872
Mapcode National: GBR D5X.306
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.XLZW
Plus Code: 9C3XH6HX+3P
Entry Name: Westhorpe House
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46984
Location: Little Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Little Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LITTLE MARLOW WESTHORPE PARK
SU 88 NE
5/100 Westhorpe House
House and attached service wing. Early C18, for James Chase, M.P.
for Marlow (d. 1721). Altered early C19. Colourwashed render over
brick, the front of concealed vitreous headers with red dressings.
Hipped roof covered with plastic sheeting, formerly slated. Red and
vitreous brick chimneys. 3 storeys and attic, 7 bays. Short
plinth, first floor band course, shallow moulded cornice with
balustraded parapet. Outer bays are more widely spaced and have
flanking pilaster strips. Early C19 sash windows with narrow glazing
bars, 2-panes wide on ground floor, 3-pane above. Most lower windows
boarded up. Central early C19 stone porch in form of 3-bay arcaded
portico with entablature broken forwards over Ionic columns. Arches
glazed and boarded. Right end has early C19 single-storey bowed
projection with moulded cornice and 3 bays of French windows with
blind boxes. Blind boxes to ground floor rear windows. Service wing
attached to rear left corner is of brick, colourwashed to N.E.,
with hipped tile roof and parapet over band course. 2 storeys,
7 bays, the 3 centre bays slightly advanced with ground floor part
altered to 2 garage entries. Other window openings are original and
have slightly cambered heads, the upper windows with C20 paired
metal casements. Interior has early C18 open-well 2-storey staircase,
in derelict condition, with twisted balusters, fluted Corinthian column
newels, moulded handrail and carved scroll tread ends. Small semi-
circular balustraded projections to landings, Dado panelling probably
later. Service stairs between upper floors in E. corner have splat
balusters; early C18 staircase with turned balusters in service wing.
Interior otherwise stripped, the first floor retaining a very little
early C18 panelling, the ground floor remodelled early C19.
Listing NGR: SU8666487277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings