This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6749 / 52°40'29"N
Longitude: 0.1354 / 0°8'7"E
OS Eastings: 544474
OS Northings: 310720
OS Grid: TF444107
Mapcode National: GBR L1P.C1M
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.11R4
Entry Name: Peppermint Hall
Listing Date: 15 April 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48195
Location: Leverington, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Leverington
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Leverington St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The entry was subject to a minor amendment on 9 August 2017.
TF 41 SW LEVERINGTON The Still
6/121 Peppermint Hall
(formerly known as The Grange, Dowgate Road)
House. Circa early C18, remodelled
in circa 1830-40 and extended in circa mid C19. Flemish bond
gault brick south front range and English bond red brick at rear.
Low pitched hipped slate roofs with deep eaves. Brick axial and
Plan: The 2-room plan north range with a central entrance hall is
a circa 1830-40 rebuilding to form a new front to what remains of
the circa early C18 house behind now a rear (SE) wing. The 2-
storey outshut behind the north range is part of the early C18
house, while the range in the rear right hand (south west) angle
is of circa mid C19 date, but may contain earlier fabric.
2 storey symmertrical 3 window north front. Tall French casements
with margin panes, the ground floor with semi-circular fanlights
with glazing bars, the first floor with slightly cambered arches.
Stone band at first floor cill level. Central doorway with
panelled door and reveals and Doric porch with fluted columns and
entablature canopy. 1 bay end elevation with similar fenestration.
The south east wing is of 3 storeys, 2 window east elevation, top
storey rebuilt, plat band at first floor level, 16-pane sashes,
top storey 8-pane sashes, left hand blind, central doorway. South
end of wing has remains of plat-band at second floor level, and to
left circa mid C19 extension, 2 storeys with 16-pane sash on first
floor. The 2 storey outshut behind north range has lean-to roof
and early brickwork in west wall.
Interior: Only the circa 1830-40 north front range was inspected.
Most of the C19 joinery is intact. The entrance hall has moulded
6 panel doors in moulded architraves and modillion plaster
cornice. The rooms to left and right also have moulded plaster
cornices, the right hand with later C19 marble chimneypiece and
round arch alcoves, the left hand with elliptically headed alcoves
with panelled cupboards and C20 chimneypiece. Open well, open
string stair case behind right hand room with stick balusters,
column newels, mahogany hand rail and shaped tread ends.
Listing NGR: TF4447410720
Other nearby listed buildings