This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6798 / 52°40'47"N
Longitude: 0.137 / 0°8'13"E
OS Eastings: 544563
OS Northings: 311262
OS Grid: TF445112
Mapcode National: GBR L1H.ZCH
Mapcode Global: WHJP9.2WHZ
Entry Name: Leverington Hall
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48096
Location: Leverington, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Leverington
Built-Up Area: Leverington
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Leverington St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 41 SW LEVERINGTON CHURCH ROAD
6/23 (East Side)
23.6.52 Leverington Hall
A particularly fine house, c.1630, of original hall and north crosswing plan with a
crosswing added to the south end in the early C18. Red brick, English bond to rear
wall, with tiled roofs to front and stone slates to rear. Rebuilt gable ends to
crosswing fronts, originally shaped, with tumbled end parapets to rear. Modillion
eaves cornice of wood, early C18, returned to crosswings. Hall range has side stack
at rear with three detached shafts with linked capping and a similar ridge stack at
the south end. Each crosswing also has a similar side stack. Two storeys and attics
with band between storeys. Hall with three dormers with broken pediments. Range of
five original, cross frame casements with leaded lights. Four similar windows at
ground floor on either side of C19 gabled porch of brick. Each gable end of the
crosswings has four similar casements and, in the attics, two smaller ones without
mullions and transomes. Lead rainwater head dated 1716 with crest and initials
T.S.E. (Thomas and Elizabeth Swaine). Early C18 forecourt walls of finely jointed red
brick with piers with stone cornices and pineapple finials of stone. Interior.
Original moulded main beam to the hall. The panelling is early C18 raised and fielded
in two heights with moulded dado and cornice. Shouldered surround to fireplace
overmantel. Hall divided in late C17 or early C18 and smaller room lined with
bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling. Part of the hall has paving of
stone. North crosswing has one room with fine late C17 bolection moulded panelling
and a late C18 fireplace surround. The main staircase is of four flights and two
landings. Late C17 closed string with turned balusters, moulded rail and square
newels. Dado also has bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling. Bedroom in
north crosswing with similar bolection moulded panelling. South crosswing ground
floor room, formerly the kitchen, with large inglenook hearth and early C18 tiled
floor, With black and white sets. The first floor room has reset c.1630 sunken
panelling probably removed from a ground floor room when the crosswing was added.
Bolection moulded fireplace surround, of marble. The back staircase is of four
flights, closed string with turned balusters with square newels. The house was
probably built for Robert Swaine (d.1705).
Estate Map, 1782 (private collection).
Country Life, 1948, January 16.
Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.423.
VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.191.
Listing NGR: TF4456311262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings