This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1859 / 52°11'9"N
Longitude: 0.135 / 0°8'5"E
OS Eastings: 546051
OS Northings: 256330
OS Grid: TL460563
Mapcode National: GBR L7H.YS2
Mapcode Global: VHHK9.9B64
Entry Name: Gymnasium and Art and Craft Studios Adjoining West of Homerton College
Listing Date: 30 September 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47928
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Queen Edith's
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge (Cherry Hinton) St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 45 NE
21/10002 Gymnasium and Art & Craft Studios
adjoining west of Homerton College
Gymnasium and art and craft studios added to college 1914 by H G
Ibberson. English bond red and purple brick with some stone dressings
and flint panels. Steeply pitched plain tile roof with gabled ends and
deep eaves on stone kneelers. Arts and Crafts Style. Plan: Large
gymnasium in west range with cross-wing on east end with stair tower in
north west angle and studios on first floor. Exterior: 2 storeys.
Asymmetrical south front. Main gymnasium range on left of 1 storey and
attic, 4:1 bays with brick piers between large semi-circular
'clerestory' windows over boarded panels, the broader left pier rises
above eaves, the right hand bay rises into gable with small 3-light
window. Small, but long flat roof dormer above. Set back on right (E)
gabled cross-wing with 3-bay loggia on ground floor and large stone
mullion-transom window above with smaller side lights, flint panels
between and chequerwork of flint and brick, carved panel and louvred
ventilation slit in gable above. Similar window and 4 round arch windows
on N end of cross-wing and low stair tower in right hand (NW) angle.
Large stone mullion-transom window in west gable of gymnasium with
lancet and ventilation slit above. Dated rainwater heads and leaded pane
windows. Interior: Gymnasium has some original equipment and segmental
arch 'apse'. Oak open well staircase to studios on first floor with
arched roof trusses plastered over.
Note: Attached to west end of the 1876-1891 Cavendish College, now
Homerton College, acquired by the Congregational Board of Education in
Sources: Buildings of England, Cambridgeshire p234. College History.
Listing NGR: TL4605156330
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings