This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4005 / 52°24'1"N
Longitude: 0.263 / 0°15'46"E
OS Eastings: 554059
OS Northings: 280465
OS Grid: TL540804
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.FBD
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.HXXM
Entry Name: No 4 Lynn Road
Listing Date: 12 December 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48753
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
.. . - "..... . ...-- . -- -' [email protected]+ ROAD
1082 LYNN ROAD
TL 5480 1/31 23.9.50.
A C17 Building, possibly incorporating an earlier structure, considerably
altered in the C18 and later. It was used as a Jail from the end of
the C17 when the Bishop's jail was transferred from Ely Porta in 1836
when the Bishop lost his jurisdiction. In 1768 Bishop Manson partly
reconstructed the building. A prison report of 1804 reports on this prison:-
"This goal not being secure is the reason why felons are so securely
chained down. The irons used 18 or 19 pounds weight and one pair 43
pounds which in 1799 one John Gothard, a transport, had on for 3 days......"
There is only one iron collar with spikes now left and the last time
it was used was on James Thomson in the year 1798" The building is square
on plan and is built partly of stone rubble and partly of red and yellow
brick. 2 storeys. 2 window range on each front, the window
are partly double-hung sashes with glazing bars and partly C20 casements.
Some of the window openings retain the iron bars of the prison. The
1st storey rooms have the original heavy boarded, barred and double bolted
prison doors with inspection windows. Roof tiled, double pitched and
hipped. A small prisoners exercise yard remains on the east side.
Listing NGR: TL5405980465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings