This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6645 / 52°39'52"N
Longitude: 0.16 / 0°9'36"E
OS Eastings: 546174
OS Northings: 309614
OS Grid: TF461096
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z4S
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F9F4
Entry Name: 4, Union Place
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48465
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WISBECH UNION PLACE
6/258 No. 4
Terrace house built c.1800, one of six houses built as part of
the planned circus of the Castle Estate by Joseph Medworth
(c.1754, d.1827). Local brown brick; modern interlocking tile
roof and pantile roof. Three storeys and basement, four 'bays'
including side passage to right hand with boarded door and
painted panel in lieu of fanlight in round-headed brick arch.
Main entrance has wooden doorcase with fluted pilasters and
broken pediment, plain round-headed fanlight and six-panelled
door. Shallow parapet with stone coping. Two, second floor,
nine-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered, gauged red
brick arches and stone cills and two painted blind windows.
Three first floor and two ground floor twelve-paned hung sash
windows in similar openings with one painted blind window at
each storey above passage way. Painted stone cill band at first
floor. Interior has plain, original staircase, and two,
reed-panelled chimney pieces and panelled doors.
NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
Colvin, p.386, 1950.
Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.
Three Histories of Wisbech, 1827, 1849 and 1897.
G. Annis, History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Listing NGR: TF4617409614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings