This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6641 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: 0.1613 / 0°9'40"E
OS Eastings: 546260
OS Northings: 309567
OS Grid: TF462095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.ZJK
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.G91G
Entry Name: The Museum
Listing Date: 10 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48325
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The following previous listing date shall be added.
Page 55 Item number 6/127 10.2.69
WISBECH MUSEUM SQUARE
6/127 The Museum
Museum, one of the first to be designed in the country,
architect George Buckler (b.1811-86). Built in 1846-7. Grey
gault brick with stone dressings; slate roofs with two stacks.
Two storeys and half-basements; two rear wings extended in
1884. Symmetrical facade with entrance bay recessed. Deep,
moulded dentil cornice and stone frieze band. Rainwater head
taken from Albion Place dated 1722 with cross-keys. Main
entrance approached by seven stone steps with iron railings.
Quasi-Doric porch, including side-lights, to half-glazed double
doors. Two, first floor, and two larger ground floor
three-light hung sash windows with console brackets to cills and
deep cornices. Four stone piers terminate low garden wall with
stone copings, originally with iron railings. Interior has
entrance hall with top lit central hall to rear. Long display
hall to left hand with gallery on three sides and two open
string staircases with patterned cast iron balusters. Library
to right hand exended 1884. All rooms fitted with original
display cases and bookcases.
VCH Cambs, p.243.
Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p,199.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502.
Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1960.
Craddock and Walker, History of Wisbech, p.433.
A. Peckover, Watercolour, W. & F. Mus.
S. Smith, photographic collection, W. & F. Mus, 1853-8.
P.H. Peckover, photographic collection, p,121, 1931.
Listing NGR: TF4626009567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings