This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6641 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: 0.161 / 0°9'39"E
OS Eastings: 546243
OS Northings: 309572
OS Grid: TF462095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.ZFY
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F9XF
Entry Name: 5, Ely Place
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48241
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WISBECH ELY PLACE
6/44 No. 5
Terrace house built c.1797, part of the planned circus of the
Castle Estate designed and built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752,
d.1827). Local brown brick; slate roof with side stack. Three
storeys with basement, four 'bays'. Stone coping to parapet and
cill band. Windows all recessed hung sashes with four panes
except one twelve-paned at ground floor, in cambered gauged red
brick arches and stone cills. Three second floor, one first
floor, and one ground floor blind windows. Wooden doorcase with
broken pediment, half-round fluted pilasters, six-panelled door
with radial glazing bars to fanlight. Royal, fire insurance
NMR (C. Gregory, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982.
A.A. Oldham, Fire Marks, 1955, W. & F. flus.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Walker and Craddock, p.278, History of Wisbech, 1849.
Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.
Listing NGR: TF4624309572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings