This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6638 / 52°39'49"N
Longitude: 0.16 / 0°9'35"E
OS Eastings: 546171
OS Northings: 309536
OS Grid: TF461095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z51
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F9DN
Entry Name: 7 and 8, the Crescent
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48229
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The following previous listing date shall be added.
Page 16 Item number 6/31 10.2.69
WISBECH THE CRESCENT
Nos. 7 and 8
Pair of houses with common facade dated 1808 on key stone of
rear arch to carriageway, linking two terraces built by Joseph
Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the
Castle Estate. Local brown brick with stone dressings, slate
roof. Three storeys and basements; seven 'bays'. Symmetrical
facade, central three 'bays' slightly project with triangular
pediment and dentil enrichment to stone cornice. Parapet with
blind balustraded panels. Rusticated stone quoins and jambs to
carriageway. Stone bands at first and second floor and plinth
band. Central round headed blind arch through first and second
floor with stone panel and doorcase to balcony window with Ionic
pilasters and open segmental pediment. Patterned iron balcony
railings. Small, nine-paned hung sash window in segmental arch
above. Six, second floor nine-paned hung sash windows in
recessed segmental brick arches; four, twelve-paned first floor
windows, and two balcony windows with recessed segmental
arches. Two, matching entrances to left and right hand in
double recessed round headed brick arches with patterned glazing
bars to fanlights and six-fielded-panelled doors. Two round
headed hung sash windows in similar aches, and two windows with
stone arches flank carriageway. Good original interior details
to No. 7, open-string staircase, six-panelled doors, panelled
window shutters and lower doors to balcony windows. Plastered
friezes and cornices; original chimney pieces. Two small bay
windows segmental in plan with patterned, tented roofs and
balcony railings in rear elevation. No. 8 has an original
open-string staircase with modern casing protecting balusters,
good chimneypiece and panelled lower balcony doors.
Six-panelled door with applied relief panels.
NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982.
Colvin, p.386, 1954.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849.
Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.
Listing NGR: TF4617109536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings