This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.562 / 52°33'43"N
Longitude: -0.2313 / 0°13'52"W
OS Eastings: 519994
OS Northings: 297482
OS Grid: TL199974
Mapcode National: GBR HZX.8CY
Mapcode Global: WHHNK.FV3T
Plus Code: 9C4XHQ69+QG
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 November 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50220
Location: Peterborough, PE2
County: City of Peterborough
Electoral Ward/Division: Fletton and Stanground
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Stanground
Church of England Diocese: Ely
5141 EX-OLD FLETTON UD CHURCH LANE
Church of St John
TL 2097 52/543
TL 1997 SE 51/543 14.11.74
Mainly circa 1300 or early C14. Church is built of coursed stone rubble with
freestone dressings and bars - Welsh slate roofs. Restored 1872 and 1908. Comprising
nave, north and south aisles, chancel with north chapel and vestry and west tower
all circa 1300. Nave with square headed 2-light clerestory windows. North and
south aisles have circa 1300 windows with intersecting tracery and 3-light lancets
under one segmental pointed arch. South aisle has some reset C13 material.
Chancel has large restored east window of 5-lights with intersecting tracery
and 3 large south windows with Y tracery and small window with square head and
3 pointed lights. North vestry has window with bar tracery with foiled circle.
West tower has diagonal buttresses in 3 stages, first stage has 2-light west
windows, second stage has trefoiled circular windows and third stage has bell
openings with Y tracery. Stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and ball
South porch of 1876.
Interior: Early C14 north and south 4 bay arcades with thin octagonal piers,
the east bays of the south arcade are largely of C13 material.
Double chamfered chancel arch with moulded respond capitals.
In chancel early C14 double piscina and early C14 sedilia under one segmental
arch. Circa 1300 stone seat in north wall of chancel.
C15 rood loft staircase. Lower part of screen in north aisle. Bench ends with
poppy heads (and luncarne heads). C16 and C17 brasses. C13 coffin lid in tomb
recess in tower.
Circa 1300 font with panelled octagonal bowl and shafter stem.
Monument: John Forster 1752, tablet with bust above. RCHM (1) page 74.
Listing NGR: TL1999497482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings