This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6451 / 52°38'42"N
Longitude: -0.3153 / 0°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 514084
OS Northings: 306591
OS Grid: TF140065
Mapcode National: GBR GXH.545
Mapcode Global: WHHN4.4S42
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49996
Location: Etton, Peterborough, PE6
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Etton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Etton St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 ETTON MAIN ROAD
Church of St Stephen
TF 1406 29/206 15.12.55
Church of largely C13. Coursed stone with lead and slate roofs. Nave has late
C14 quatrefoil clerestory windows and parapet. North and south aisles have
C13 two-light windows with Y-tracery and foiled circles. Blocked north doorway
with trefoiled head. Double-chamfered south doorway and south porch has round
arch with chamfer and hollow chamfer. South windows of chancel similar to aisle
windows. Also in south wall of chancel is small ogee arched window. East window
is 5 stepped lancets. Blind north wall of chancel has blocked arch to former
chapel. West tower has 3 stages with flat angle buttresses and polygonal stair
turret, lancet windows and round arched bell openings with pointed arch lights
with circular shaft between, frieze with heads, stiff-leaf and figures. Stone
broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Interior: Three bay arcades have circular piers and circular capitals and abaci,
and with pointed double-chamfered arches, with a decoration on the south side.
Double-hollow-chamfered chancel arch. Double-chamfered pointed tower arch with
original roofline above.
Piscinas in chancel and south aisle. Sedilia in chancel. Plain C14 octagonal
font with C17 cover. Mid C19 seating.
VCH Northamptonshire Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF1408406591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings