History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Witchford, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3865 / 52°23'11"N

Longitude: 0.2083 / 0°12'29"E

OS Eastings: 550381

OS Northings: 278789

OS Grid: TL503787

Mapcode National: GBR M6L.CH6

Mapcode Global: VHHJC.K8GV

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127000

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49521

Location: Witchford, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Witchford

Built-Up Area: Witchford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Witchford

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Stretham

Listing Text

WITCHFORD MAIN STREET
TL 5078 (South Side)

20/31 Church of St Andrew
5.2.52
- II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, and 1376 nave and chancel. Field and
rubblestone and dressed limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with end
parapet to chancel. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel.
Three-stage embattled west tower has C18 gault brick repairs. No plinth and
unbuttressed. Dressed limestone quoins. Restored west window of two lights
in two centred arches and similar paired lights to bell stage. Nave: Three
windows of three cinquefoil lights with Decorated tracery in two centred arch
with label. Continuous double chamfered north and south doorways. Nave
buttressing has off-set. Canted west walls with single lancet to connect with
west tower. The chancel has east window of three lights with Decorated
tracery. Interior: C17 staggered butt purlin nave roof. C13 two centred
tower arch partly blocked. Chancel arch is two centred and of two chamfered
orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital. Two niches, C14-C15,
flank the chancel arch. There is a low side window in the south wall. The
font is C13. Limestone. Tapering octagon on a column with splayed lower edge
and moulded holdwater base.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.504
V.C.H. Cambs. IV


Listing NGR: TL5038178789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.