This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3487 / 52°20'55"N
Longitude: 0.2184 / 0°13'6"E
OS Eastings: 551197
OS Northings: 274610
OS Grid: TL511746
Mapcode National: GBR M70.N1X
Mapcode Global: VHHJK.Q7T9
Plus Code: 9F4286X9+F8
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49494
Location: Stretham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Stretham
Built-Up Area: Stretham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Stretham St James
Church of England Diocese: Ely
STRETHAM HIGH STREET
TL 5174 (West Side)
24/19 Church of St James
Parish church. C14, west tower and north nave arcade. Extensive rebuilding
and alterations of 1868 by St Aubyn. Coursed sandstone and limestone with
plain tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Plan of west tower, nave and north
and south aisles, north and south transepts and chancel. West tower, C14, of
three stages with original angle buttressing, parapet and newel staircase in
north-west angle. Ashlared octagonal spire has two tiers of gable Lucarne
lights, C14. West window of three trefoil lights with reticulated tracery in
two centred arch. Second stage has a single light window to each side in two
centred arch of two chamfered orders. The bell stage has a two centred arch
to a two-light opening in each side, each with a trefoil head. Nave. 1868.
Clerestorey of five windows to each side, each of two trefoil lights. South
aisle has windows of three trefoil lights in ogee arches and square heads.
Gabled and buttressed south porch has two centred outer arch of two moulded
orders. The south transept has three cinquefoil light window with foiled
head. the chancel east window has five cinquefoil lights in a foiled head.
Interior: C14 west tower arch. Two centred and of three continuously moulded
orders. North arcade also C14. Four bays. Two centred arches of two hollow
moulded orders, one with a broach stop on octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases. There is a continuous label with mask stops. South
arcade, 1868, of four bays. Two centred arches on columns with moulded
capitals and bases. A continuous label also has mask stops. North and south
transepts are C19. The nave roof is in four bays and of braced collar rafter
type with Queen struts and two tiers of curved wind bracing to the purlins.
The aisle roofs are also 1868 and have similar wind bracing. Two centred
chancel arch of two orders, the inner on corbels carved with stiff leaf
foliage. The chancel roof is in four bays with braced collars and queen
struts and wind bracing to the purlins. Monument: North wall of chancel,
Anne Brunsell, wife of a rector, and sister of Sir Christopher Wren. Screen:
C15. Single light divisions with open upper stage having cusped crocketed
ogee arches and panel tracery. Monument: Recess in chancel wall. Inscribed
tomb. Nicholas de Kyngestone, rector in late C13. Brass: Joan Swan d.1497.
Font: C13. Tapering octagon on central stem with eight subsidiary stems with
moulded capitals and waterholding bases. Plans, sections and elevations of
the alterations to the church by St Aubyn are in the Rectory.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p462
V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. IV
Listing NGR: TL5119774610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings