History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolebec Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2397 / 52°14'22"N

Longitude: 0.2781 / 0°16'41"E

OS Eastings: 555648

OS Northings: 262607

OS Grid: TL556626

Mapcode National: GBR M8F.K48

Mapcode Global: VHHJZ.RYWZ

Entry Name: Bolebec Cottage

Listing Date: 15 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49425

Location: Swaffham Bulbeck, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Swaffham Bulbeck

Built-Up Area: Swaffham Bulbeck

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Swaffham Bulbeck St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Swaffham Bulbeck

Listing Text

TL 5562 SWAFFHAM BULBECK HIGH STREET
(East Side)

16/126 No. 33 (Bolebec
Cottage)

GV II

House, dated 1587 on overmantel in ground floor rear room.
Timber-framed, exposed in gable end with rendered infill. Plain
tiled steeply pitched roof with original ridge stack of gault
brick with recessed panel to base. Originally a three bay
parlour wing to a hall, now demolished. Two storeys and attic,
with the first floor jettied. Gable end has one C20 window to
each floor but the ground floor window is flanked by two,
three-light windows with original ovolo mullions. The framing
is of substantial scantling and there are curved downward braces
from the corner posts to the sill. Inside. The ceilings of the
front and rear rooms are carried on prick posts with moulded
heads. The inglenook at the rear has an overmantel of clunch in
three bays divided by short pilasters. The end bays have the
initials W.C. and S.C. and the centre bay the date 1587. There
is some original panelling with a frieze in the rear room. An
upper room has a main beam with ovolo moulding and an original
fireplace of clunch, now badly worn. The roof is of clasped,
through purlin construction. The middle rail in the North side
wall has the mortices for the floor frame of the hall.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p107, mon (15)


Listing NGR: TL5564862607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.