History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carlton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1506 / 52°9'2"N

Longitude: 0.3984 / 0°23'54"E

OS Eastings: 564185

OS Northings: 252967

OS Grid: TL641529

Mapcode National: GBR NC2.5J4

Mapcode Global: VHJH2.V6GP

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127132

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51249

Location: Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Carlton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Carlton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
West Wratting

Listing Text

CARLTON CUM WILLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
TL 65 SW
5/48 Church of St Peter
22.11.67
GV II*
Parish church. C12 origin, mainly C14-C15 and C19. Fieldstone with clunch
dressings repaired in limestone. Slate and tiled roofs. Nave, chancel and
south porch. West wall of nave rebuilt c.1885 with gabled bellcot. South
wall has two C14 windows, restored, of two lights each with reticulated
tracery and one with a square head. There are reused C12 shafts in the
mullions of the windows. Later two stage buttressing. South porch, C17 much
rebuilt. Timber framed and red brick. Chancel, C15. Two windows in south
wall of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. East window of
similar period and of three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch.
Interior: C15 chancel arch. Two centred and of two orders, continuous ogee
outer order and wave moulded inner order on responds with half columns
embattled capitals and high moulded base. Chancel arch, C15 now with part
reused at west end of nave to form a vestry. C15 nave roof. Octagonal crown
post with moulded capital and base and two-way bracing to collar purlin on
tie beam with shallow arch bracing and pierced spandrel work. Embattled
cornice to wall plate of nave roof. Font: C15 and pulpit early C17, on
modern base.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p313
V.C.H: Cambs vol VI p156

Listing NGR: TL6418552967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Rectory
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Carlton War Memorial
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Hill House
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Hillcroft
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Kingsfield Cottage
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Acre Cottage
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Lophams Hall
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
  • II Woodman House
    Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.