This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1422 / 52°8'32"N
Longitude: 0.4054 / 0°24'19"E
OS Eastings: 564694
OS Northings: 252054
OS Grid: TL646520
Mapcode National: GBR NC3.M97
Mapcode Global: VHJH2.ZF53
Entry Name: Lophams Hall
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 11 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51248
Location: Carlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Carlton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Carlton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
CARLTON CUM WILLINGHAM CARLTON GREEN ROAD
TL 65 SW
22.11.67 Lophams Hall
(formerly listed as
Manor house. C15, C16 and C17. Timber framed, rendered and tiled roofs.
Red brick side stack with offsets and rebuilt upper courses to north wall.
Late C16 - early C17 side stack to south gable end, also projecting and of
red brick English bond with some burnt brick. Offsets with some tumbling.
Tiled roofs. Irregular plan. The north range remains of the C15 manor
house. The south range was built c.1582 (VCH Cambs p151), probably replacing
the open hall of the C15 house, and a south west kitchen wing was added
later. Two storeys. Flush frame modern casements. Principal doorway in
west gable end. Interior: North range. Two bay solar or parlour wing with
some framing exposed including the main posts and tie beams. Framing of
substantial scantling with plain deep chamfers, but unmoulded arch bracing to
the tie beam of the centre truss. The ground floor ceiling is not exposed
but photographic evidence and the existence of a contemporary, moulded middle
rail indicate that this winy has always been floored. There is a later
hearth exposed on ground floor in north wall. This chimney and the
fireplaces may have been added later in C16. Peg holes in the middle rail
indicate framing that was replaced by the brickwork of the stack. At first
floor there is a fine c.1582 ceiling inserted into the C15 frame. Ogee
moulded mainbeams with stops enriched with carvings of roses and one with an
elephant. The roof has been much rebuilt over this wing but sufficient
remains on the gable ends to indicate that it was of clasped side purlin
construction. The wing to the south is of two bays. Ogee moulded main beams
to quartered ceiling in ground floor room. Clunch hearth with smaller ogee
moulding similar to that in the ceiling in north wing at first floor. This
fireplace is reset from the first floor. Contemporary wall painting in this
room and the room above has now been removed. At one side of the fireplace
is a niche in a round head with key block and shaped shelving, early C18.
The side purlin roof is wind braced. A lower range to the south west, C17,
has an inglenook hearth. The house is built on a moated site.
R.C.H.M.: record card
V.C.H: Cambs Vol VI p151
Listing NGR: TL6469452054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings