This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6203 / 52°37'12"N
Longitude: -0.1078 / 0°6'28"W
OS Eastings: 528191
OS Northings: 304180
OS Grid: TF281041
Mapcode National: GBR K0M.PK5
Mapcode Global: WHHNF.9DXL
Plus Code: 9C4XJVCR+4V
Entry Name: Thorney Abbey and Abbey House
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 24 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50359
Location: Thorney, Peterborough, PE6
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Thorney
Built-Up Area: Thorney
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Thorney Abbey St Mary and St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 THORNEY ABBEY PLACE
Thorney Abbey and
(formerly listed as
Thorney Abbey under
TF 2804 41/567 22.10.52
Late C16 house (Abbey House) to east and 1660 west wing (Thorney Abbey) with
The west wing was built in 1660 and designed by Peter Mills (architect of
Thorpe Hall) with John Lovin as the builder, or perhaps designed by Lovin
himself. It is a fine house of the period. Square on plan. Stone, rendered
with masonry joint lining, stone quoins, string course and plinth. Coved
eaves cornice, and steeply pitched hipped roof of Collyweston stones. Two
storeys and attic. South side, 5 bays. Ovolo moulded stone mullion/transom
2-light windows with moulded architraves, some with leaded panes. Central
doorway with stone panelled pilasters and pediment on corbels, glazed door
and rectangular fanlight. Hipped dormers. North and west elevations similar
but 3 bays. Large central rusticated chimney stack with panelled sides and
cornice. Terrace balustrading to west front with panelled piers and wide
flight of steps at centre.
Interior of west wing: panelled dining room with pilastered chimney piece
with eared panel with volutes, doorcases in similar style. Other rooms with
similar chimney pieces and doorcases. Staircase with ornamented balusters
and square newels with panelled sides containing garlands, and with finials,
moulded string with Victorian scroll frieze.
The 2 storey late C16 east wing is the original house and has 2 gables to
south, one with 2 storeyed splayed bay, stone mullion windows with cornices,
stone rubble with Collyweston stone roof with coped gables. The east side
facing road is 5 bays, sashes with glazing bars, right hand moulded stone
doorcase with dentilled flat hood on shaped brackets.
The link range has possibly re-used Norman arch and round piers from the monastery.
Country Life 27 September 1919.
Listing NGR: TF2819104180
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings