This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6205 / 52°37'13"N
Longitude: -0.1071 / 0°6'25"W
OS Eastings: 528236
OS Northings: 304205
OS Grid: TF282042
Mapcode National: GBR K0M.PQL
Mapcode Global: WHHNF.BD7F
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Botolph
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50358
Location: Thorney, Peterborough, PE6
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Thorney
Built-Up Area: Thorney
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Thorney Abbey St Mary and St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 THORNEY ABBEY PLACE
Church of St Mary
and St Botolph
TF 2804 41/566 22.10.52
Parish church formed from the 5 west bays of the nave of the Abbey church.
A monastery was founded circa 670 destroyed in Danish raid of 870 and refounded
in 972 for Benedictine monks. In circa 1085 church was rebuilt by Abbot Guenther
and completed circa 1108. The 5 bays of the nave of the church is all that
remains, the east end, aisles, and almost all the monastic buildings have
gone. In 1638 the ruined church was restored as parish church, when the
aisles were demolished and the arcades were filled in with Perpendicular
windows. The arcades have continuous shafts to ceiling and alternating shafted
piers. The round arched clerestory has one Norman bay on south side. The
gallery openings have shafts with volute and scalloped capitals. The west
front has massive Norman angle turrets with octagonal tops and Perpendicular
battlements and has frieze of 9 figures between and over the large partly
blocked Perpendicular west window, with portal beneath dated 1638.
The east end is in Norman style by Blore 1840-1, ashlar with short transepts
and vaulted inside.
Sortie German or Swiss stained glass in nave windows.
Listing NGR: TF2823604205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings