This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0978 / 52°5'52"N
Longitude: 0.279 / 0°16'44"E
OS Eastings: 556203
OS Northings: 246834
OS Grid: TL562468
Mapcode National: GBR MB5.KB6
Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SJCP
Entry Name: 1 AND 3, COLES LANE (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51948
Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Linton
Built-Up Area: Linton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5646 LINTON HIGH STREET
16/134 Nos. 79 and 81 and
22.11.67 Nos. 1 and 3 Coles
Lane (formerly listed as
Nos 3 and 5)
House divided into four dwellings. Early C16 with late C17 and C18
alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plastered with C20 pargetted
panels replacing bolection moulded late C17 pargetted panels in front
elevation. Painted brick plinth. Large red brick ridge stack and rebuilt
ridge stack to rear. Plain tile roofs hipped to east and rear stair turret.
Two storeys with cellars, L-plan, original building with continuous jetty to
south and east with deeply chamfered corner post (qv Guildhall), with some
defaced carved ornament; bracket with carved head and jewelled decoration to
west end of jetty. Late C17 modillioned eaves cornice to south elevation.
Main entrance (No. 81) approached by brick and stone steps, and entrance to
west both with C18 panelled doors. One ground floor twelve-paned hung sash
window and one canted oriel window with hung sashes. Two first floor
cross-framed windows with casements. Rear wing (Nos. 1 and 3 Coles Lane),
two storeys with four first floor and four ground flush-framed twelve-paned
hung sash windows of various sizes. Two doors; C18 six-panelled door, and
C19 flush-panelled door. Interior of No. 81: Bolection moulded two-panelled
late C17 doors with original hinges, some early C18 panelling forming
partition walls. Staircase with central newel post. Home of Robert Cole
corn chandler and cousin of Wm Cole the antiquary in 1725, first purchased by
the Cole family 1675.
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton, 1913 CC
Stevens, R.L. Linton P.C.Pubs 1982, p55
Listing NGR: TL5620346834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings