History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1475 / 52°8'51"N

Longitude: 0.1488 / 0°8'55"E

OS Eastings: 547124

OS Northings: 252093

OS Grid: TL471520

Mapcode National: GBR L83.8FY

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.J9J1

Entry Name: The White House

Listing Date: 20 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51614

Location: Stapleford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stapleford

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stapleford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

STAPLEFORD
1.

TL 45 SE MINGLE LANE
(North side)
5/201 A
No. 45 (The White Cottage)

G.V. II

2.

Cottage. C15 with mid C17 alterations and C19 convertion to two cottages; recently restored. Timber framed with roughcast render. Slated main roof with patterned ridge tiles, and plain tiled roof to outshut. Rebuilt ridge stack. Two storeys; three equal timber framed bays formerly open at both floor levels, altered to three unit lobby entry plan in mid C17 by the insertion of a back to back hearth and partitions. There is also evidence of windows at first floor level and a stair case rising on the north side of the stack. South elevation: Main entrance blocked, two three-light ground floor casement windows and three first floor windows including one with horizontal sliding sashes. Main entrance in rear elevation. Interior: Three equal timber framed bays with wall of two stages conventionally framed; open trusses arched braced to cambered tie beams with plain soffit chamfers. Stop-chamfered. Cross beams with joists (possibly replacements) laid flat; edge halved scarf joint to north-east of wall plate a repair. Two red brick hearths with chamfered mantel beams, hearth to hall with two niches each with shaped heads and with infill blocking the former baking oven. Sited on the boundary of the churchyard, the building was possibly a church or guildhall before the C17 alteration.

Listing NGR: TL4712452093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.