History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stapleford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1477 / 52°8'51"N

Longitude: 0.1484 / 0°8'54"E

OS Eastings: 547096

OS Northings: 252114

OS Grid: TL470521

Mapcode National: GBR L83.8BK

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.J8BW

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51610

Location: Stapleford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stapleford

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stapleford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

STAPLEFORD MINGLE LANE
TL 45 SE
(North Side)
5/201 Church of St. Andrew
31.8.62
II*
Parish church of early C12 origins, C13 chancel and C14 nave and
west tower. Substantial C19 and C20 alterations. Flint,
pebblestones, Barnack limestone and dressed clunch. Tiled roofs.
Plan of west tower, nave, north and south aisle, south porch and
chancel. West tower of three stages with set-back buttressing of two
stages. The exterior of the church has been extensively restored
including Ketton stone to the windows in the south aisle and dressed
clunch to the chancel walls. The south doorway to the chancel is
however C13 with a double chamfered moulding. Interior: the chancel
arch is early C12. Round headed arch of two orders, the outer with
chevrons, and a roll mould, each with a shaft, scalloped capital,
carved, with abacus. The chancel is C13 and although much remodelled
retains threee lancets, two in north wall and one in south wall as
well as two other C15 windows. the double piscina in south wall is
C13 with trefoil cusping to two centred arches with colonettes with
moulded capital base. C14 nave in five bays. Two centred arches of
two chamfered orders with broach stops on octagonal columns with
moulded capitals and bases. C19 roof. The north chapel has a C14
piscina with trefoil cusping. The front is C13, tapering octagon on
ocatgonal stem. There are fragments of a Saxon cross and of a
Norman grave cover, in the north aisle. Chest, oak and iron bound
and studded with nails, probably C15.
R.C.H.M: record card
Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 459
V.C.H: Cambs vol II
H. Forrester: Medieval Gothic Mouldings


Listing NGR: TL4709652114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.