History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stapleford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.147 / 52°8'49"N

Longitude: 0.1538 / 0°9'13"E

OS Eastings: 547466

OS Northings: 252044

OS Grid: TL474520

Mapcode National: GBR L83.9PS

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.M95G

Entry Name: Stapleford Hall

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51600

Location: Stapleford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stapleford

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stapleford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

TL 45SE STAPLEFORD BAR LANE

No 57 (Stapleford Hall)
5/196 (formerly listed as
31.8.62 Stapleford Hall)

II

House, c.1630 extended c.1700. Plastered timber frame with
thatched roof of reed and original red brick stack of three
octagonal linked shafts, with rebuilt capping. In C19 a stack
was added to the right hand gable end. Three bay plan in a
single range with two bayed kitchen and service range added at
the rear later in C17 and forming an L-plan. Two storeys and
attics. Three C19 horizontal sliding sashes with small panes,
the heads flush with the eaves. Three similar windows at ground
floor. Doorway now to centre bay. The c.1700 extension at the
rear is timber framed, rendered, with part pantiled roof with
end stack. Single storey originally but roof raised c.1920-30
over one bay of the wing to make two storeys. This part of the
roof is also thatched with reed. C20 fenestration and doorway.
Adjoining the house at the front is another addition, also
timber framed, pantiled. Single storey and in two bays.
Interior: The 1630 range has abutting inglenook hearths one
either later or restored, but the other has a chamfered cambered
arch to the original red brick hearth. The ceiling framing is
of typical C17 type with the joists laid on edge. In the
chamber over the centre room there is another hearth of similar
period also with chamfered cambered arch the chamfer terminating
on a high base. Above the hearth is a plaster frieze of
quatrefoils. One end room has slender bracing to the wall frame
and stop chamfered main beams. The first floor rooms have
always been ceiled. The roof is of side purlin construction
with some torching to the soffits of rafters and thatch.
R.C.H.M: record card


Listing NGR: TL4746652044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.