This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1455 / 52°8'43"N
Longitude: 0.1303 / 0°7'49"E
OS Eastings: 545862
OS Northings: 251835
OS Grid: TL458518
Mapcode National: GBR L82.HRD
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.6BQK
Entry Name: 15, 17 and 19, Church Street
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51465
Location: Great Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Great Shelford
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Shelford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/05/2012
Nos 15, 17 and 19
(Formerly listed as Nos 17, 19 and 21)
Row of three cottages, possibly originally a guildhall.
Early-mid C16. Converted to a house and re-roofed in mid-late
C17 and subdivided into three cottages early C19. Timber framed
part rendered with late C17 hipped roof of plain tiles and ridge
stack of gault brick contemporary with the roof. Plan of single
range in four bays. Two storeys with the first floor jettied to
the road. The jetty beam is unmoulded and is carried on four
jetty brackets. There is no wall bracing visible. The framing
and plan are similar to Guildhall at Whittlesford, Cambs. The
fenestration and door openings date from the time of the
subdivision to cottages in early C19. Four horizontal sliding
sashes with small panes. The sites of two original window
openings are visible in the front wall and one in a gable end.
Three early C19 doorways with boarded doors. The one to the
centre cottage is possibly on the site of the original doorway.
Interior: The house has always been floored and the two centre
bays have a ceiling with well carpentered and substantial
unmoulded joists, laid flat. The intersecting chamfered main
beams have broach stops. The brickwork of the inglenook hearth
obscures the stop of the main beam indicating that the hearth
has been rebuilt or possibly inserted when the guildhall was
converted to a house. There is a shutter groove for a window in
the rear wall of the ground floor centre room. At first floor
the chamfered, cambered tie beams are visible. They are arch
braced. Staggered butt purlin roof of slender scantling,
typical of late C17.
R.C.H.M: record card.
Listing NGR: TL4586251835
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings