This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1459 / 52°8'45"N
Longitude: 0.1304 / 0°7'49"E
OS Eastings: 545872
OS Northings: 251872
OS Grid: TL458518
Mapcode National: GBR L82.HSD
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.6BT9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51467
Location: Great Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Great Shelford
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Shelford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
CHURCH STREET (north side),
Church of St. Mary
Parish church of C12 and C14 origins, but almost completely
rebuilt in early C15 by Reverend Thomas Patesley, d.1411. In
1798 the west tower collapsed and was rebuilt further to the
east within the nave. In C19 the chancel and the fenestration
of much of the church was restored. Coursed limestone, dressed
clunch, clunch rubble, flint and pebblestone. Low pitched,
embattled roof. Plan of west tower, nave, north and south
aisles and chancel. West tower incorporates old materials.
Three stages with octagonal bell stage. Embattled with needle
spire. West window of clunch, three cinquefoil lights with
vertical tracery. Newel staircase in north west angle. The
windows of the clerestorey and the south aisle have been
restored in C19 with Ketton stone in perpendicular style. The
south porch, C15, has a parish room above. Embattled with
two-stage diagonal buttressing. Original niche with modern
sculpture above restored outer archway. Rib vaulted interior
with bosses, including a pelican.
INTERIOR: Nave now of four
bays. Two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal
columns with typical high bases and moulded capitals. Moulded
labels with mask stops, some of angels. Chancel arch of similar
date, and with a rood loft staircase opening to the north. The
nave roof is C15 and of alternating tie beam and hammer-beam
construction. Above the chancel arch is a C15 wall painting of
the Doom. In the south aisle is a C14 piscina with trefoil arch
opening. The pulpit is 1636, oak. The tester and staircase are
original. There are early C17 wall monuments in the north and
south walls of the chancel and a brass to Thomas Patesley,
d.1411 in the chancel floor.
Pevsner: Buildings of England p.396;
R.C.H.M: record card;
V.C.H: (Cambs) Vol. VII p.
Listing NGR: TL4587251872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings