This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1522 / 52°9'7"N
Longitude: 0.1339 / 0°8'2"E
OS Eastings: 546090
OS Northings: 252579
OS Grid: TL460525
Mapcode National: GBR L82.4P2
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.85NG
Entry Name: De Freville Farmhouse
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51476
Location: Great Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Great Shelford
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Shelford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4652 GREAT SHELFORD HIGH GREEN
18/71 No 31 (De Freville Farmhouse)
House, C15, C16, C17 and early C20. Timber framed, roughcast
rendered with steeply pitched tiled roofs, one half-hipped, with
C17 red brick ridge and projecting side stacks. Original plan
of hall with crosswing at left hand, extended by a further
crosswing at right hand in early C17 and now forming an H-plan.
Two storeys. The hall range has a later gable to the front with
the initials of Gonville and Caius College and the date 1907.
Three flush frame hung sashes of sixteen panes in open boxing.
The present main doorway is to a cross-passage between the hall
and C17 crosswing. Panelled door with flat hood on shaped
brackets. Left hand crosswing, C15, is jettied both to the
front and to the internal side wall over what was the original
cross-passage. There is a plain, unmoulded dragon beam on the
corner and brackets to every fourth joist. Horizontal sliding
sashes with early C19 panelled shutters at ground floor. At the
rear of this crosswing is a timber-framed addition, now a
kitchen, and C17. The right hand crosswing is also jettied to
the front. Similar fenestration, shuttered at ground floor.
Interior: The C14-C15 open-hall was demolished or removed in
C16 when the present hall was constructed. However a pair of
rafters, sooted and with the joints for the collars to a
crown-post roof have survived. Some of the wall frame of the
C16 hall is visible from the roof and shows close studding. The
C16 roof was rebuilt probably in 1907. It is likely that the
chimney stack is contemporary with the C16 hall. The ceiling of
the hall has fine roll moulding to the intersecting main beams
and to the lintel over the inglenook hearth. The crosswing at
the left hand is early C15. Part of the original cross-passage
survives at the rear of the C16 inglenook hearth. The jetty of
the solar projects over this cross-passage, which is
particularly wide and similar to that of Rectory Farm, Great
Shelford (q.v.). The original partition wall and service
doorways are intact, as well as a sloping floor for drainage.
The roof is of clasped, side purlin construction with cambered
collars and long straight bracing. The C17 crosswing has
fragments of early C17 square sunken panelling of oak with an
embattled cornice. At first floor there is a raised tie beam
and shutter grooves to original window openings, now sealed.
This roof can be contrasted with that of the other crosswing,
and is of wind braced butt purlin construction.
R.C.H.M: record card
Listing NGR: TL4609052579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings