History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Mile House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1531 / 52°9'11"N

Longitude: 0.1332 / 0°7'59"E

OS Eastings: 546035

OS Northings: 252681

OS Grid: TL460526

Mapcode National: GBR L7W.Y7M

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.848R

Entry Name: Four Mile House

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Last Amended: 22 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51461

Location: Great Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Great Shelford

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great Shelford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

In the entry for;
GREAT SHELFORD CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(South-west side
TL 4652 No 5
18/56 (Four Mile House)
GV
II

The address shall be amended to read; CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(South-west side)
1 and 3
(Four Mile House)

------------------------------------
TL 4652 GREAT SHELFORD CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(South West Side)

18/56 No 5 (Four Mile House)

GV II

House mainly c.1700 but incorporating part of C15 house in rear
wing. C19 and C20 minor alterations and additions. Timber
framed, plaster rendered and pargetted panels. Steeply pitched,
plain tiled roof with original moulded wood eaves. Cornice and
red brick ridge stack at junction of front and rear ranges. Two
ranges forming an L-plan. Two storeys. Fenestration of three
flush frame hung sashes with vertical glazing bars, mid-C19. At
ground floor three hung sashes, including two with sixteen
panes. Off-centre doorway. Early C19 doorcase with moulded
architrave, flat hood and panelled door. Interior: The rear
range contains part of a C15 open-hall which has been remodelled
in C17. Most of a tie beam with substantial arch bracing
survives and, in the roof above the sooted rafters on one side,
are now incorporated in typical C17 staggered butt purl in roof.
The front range is in three bays with a narrower stair and entry
bay. The internal details, e.g. the staircase with toads-back
mahogany rail and square section balusters to the open-string,
are of the early C19. The roof over this front part of the
house is also of a similar butt-purlin type. The house was the
home of G.G. Coulton, the medieval historian.
R.C.H.M: record card.


Listing NGR: TL4603552681

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.