This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1159 / 52°6'57"N
Longitude: 0.151 / 0°9'3"E
OS Eastings: 547377
OS Northings: 248577
OS Grid: TL473485
Mapcode National: GBR L8H.90P
Mapcode Global: VHHKP.K2PS
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and St Andrew
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53133
Location: Whittlesford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Whittlesford
Built-Up Area: Whittlesford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Whittlesford St Mary and St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4648 WHITTLESFORD CHURCH LANE
10/314 Parish Church of
22.11.67 St Mary and St Andrew
Parish Church. C12 tower and nave. Chancel rebuilt in C13 and nave walls
heightened. C14 rebuilding with south aisle enclosing south wall of tower,
and porch built by Henry Cyprian, windows inserted into north and west nave
walls. C15 south chapel and south aisle windows; belfry and lead spire.
Restored 1875, 1882, roofs restored 1905, and 1922. Walls of flint and pebble
rubble originally plastered till 1902, with Barnack limestone and limestone
and clunch dressings with brick repairs. Plain tiled and leaded roofs.
South elevation: Nave with steeply pitched roof and parapet gable with cross
finial; pent roof to aisle of three original bays extended to the east as
chapel beyond resited C13 priest's doorway of moulded two-centred arched
orders. Three three-light traceried windows in two-centred arches with
labels. Tower of three stages with reused C12 chevron decorated stone and C12
relief carving above round arched second stage window; moulded cornice with
gargoles at angles and between, plastered embattled parapet with two flint
panels. (Belfry stair turret on north side C15). South porch with wooden
arched entry, cambered tie beams with carved heads at apex and quarter round
moulding to arched braces, cornice inscribed 'Henricus Ciprian me fecit'
rebuilding in C18 gault and red brick. Chancel with C19 embattled parapet,
three-light window similar to chapel with C14 doorway with square head and
spandrels partly covered by chapel wall. North wall with blocked C13 lancet
lights and weathering of earlier roof. Lead spire possible C19 replacement.
Interior: Nave arcade of three bays early C14 of two chamfered orders with
moulded caps and flat moulded bases, arch to south aisle from tower of similar
date with chamfered bases and graffiti cut into clunch. Tower arches to nave
and chancel C15 with continuous outer order, moulded two-centred arch on
responds with moulded caps and bases; archway to chancel stilted. C12 round
arched window above archway. Belfry door C15, chancel priest's door possible
C14. Two bay C15 arcade to chapel with keeled and hollow chamfered double
ogee moulded arches with attached columns to responds and with moulded caps
and bases. Roofs; restored nave roof scissor-braced collar-rafter roof with
C20 tie beams. South aisle and chancel roofs C20. Restored C15 screen
between chancel and south chapel. Poppy head stalls and restored C15 seating
in nave. Font C13 plain square bowl on five round supporting columns C15
sedilia and C14 niche in chancel. Church wardens chest early C15. Alabaster
fragments from Medieval altar piece in display case in nave. Monuments: In
chancel; to Maria Dood 1690 black marble plaque with acanthus border and
cornice, swags of fruit cartouche of arms above; limestone plaque to
E.P.Aylett Moore M.C. d. 1918; black marble slab to Thomas Thurnall MD CCC
XVIII also Sarah his wife, Elizabeth Maria and Wm Henry Thurnall her husband;
bronze to W.E. Dixon d. 1931 Reader in Pharmacology 1919-1931 V of C; black
slate with limestone cinque foiled arch with side finials by Whitehead of
Royston to Sara Eliza daughter of Henry and Mary Thurnall 1835, and her
brothers; black marble plaque to Martha Don 1661; In chapel, four C18
plaques: In belfry; black marble with white marble plaque to Elizabeth
Thurnall 1828 and Wm 1942 and their son d. 1811. In nave; large cartouche
with oval plaque and small cartouche of arms above to Wm Westley of Cambridge
d. 1723. Four painted boards with The Credo and Pater Nostra. The relief
sculpture of a sheela-na-gig is noteworthy.
VCH.Vol VI Whittlesford.
Listing NGR: TL4737748577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings