This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6018 / 51°36'6"N
Longitude: -2.5266 / 2°31'35"W
OS Eastings: 363625
OS Northings: 189352
OS Grid: ST636893
Mapcode National: GBR JT.B94Z
Mapcode Global: VH87X.5Z4X
Entry Name: Thornbury Grange
Listing Date: 17 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34901
Location: Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Thornbury
Built-Up Area: Thornbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Thornbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
298/5/2 BRISTOL ROAD
17-DEC-84 (East side)
(Formerly listed as:
House, formerly known as The Farm. Of probable C16 origins, altered in C17 and C19.
MATERIALS: Constructed of stone rubble with double Roman tiled roof and Cotswold stone tiles to stair turret; rendered stacks.
PLAN: L-shaped plan running north-south with short range to north running east-west. It is of two storeys and concealed attic.
EXTERIOR: West elevation: three windows, with a further window in the advanced parlour wing to left. These are 2-and 3-light wooden casements. There is a C19 conservatory in re-entrant angle. There are two low gables to the north elevation and a C17 casement window.
Rear (now entrance) elevation: C17 octagonal stair turret with ovolo-moulded door-frame with depressed 4-centred arch head and studded plank door with strap hinges. A projecting stack adjoins the stair turret.
The 1898 service wing, now a separate property called South Grange, is not of special architectural interest and is therefore not included in this listing.
INTERIOR: Mostly altered, although retains stop-chamfered beams, and 4-centred arch fireplace in main bedroom.
HISTORY: Thornbury Grange is believed to have C16 origins and was raised in the early C17, when the stair turret was added. In 1898 a service range was added to the south east; the front door was moved to the stair turret; and the former entrance door was replaced with a mullioned window. The building was subsequently subdivided, and by the early 1950s census reports indicate that it had become two separate properties; Thornbury Grange and South Grange.
SOURCES: Linda Hall: The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire (1983) pg 237.
David Verey and Alan Brooks: Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2: The Vale and The Forest of Dean (2002) pg 758.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Thornbury Grange is an interesting building of predominately C17 date with possible C16 origins. It retains a number of features indicative of the C17 building phase and despite some later C19 alterations remains relatively intact.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings