This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5295 / 51°31'46"N
Longitude: -2.6148 / 2°36'53"W
OS Eastings: 357450
OS Northings: 181358
OS Grid: ST574813
Mapcode National: GBR JP.GYT1
Mapcode Global: VH887.MTJB
Entry Name: Hollywood Tower and Attached Stable, Wall, Kennels and Piers
Listing Date: 21 October 1952
Last Amended: 5 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35126
Location: Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire, BS10
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Almondsbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Pilning with Compton Greenfield
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURY HOLLYWOOD LANE (north east side)
11/32 Hollywood Tower and attached
21.10.52 stable, wall, kennels and piers
House, now offices. c.1820 with later C19 and C20 additions and alterations.
Limestone ashlar, rubble, rendered rear block, slate roof. Palladian style.
2 storeys, 3 windows, all plate glass sashes with shutters; plinth; semi-
circular Roman Doric portico with panelled and glazed door in reeded architrave
with carved, draped spear over, large fanlight with lantern set in; ground
floor has recessed arches with carved draped spears over windows; first floor
central window has cornice and brackets, outer windows in plain reveals;
returned string course, cornice, parapet and coping. Single storey, 3-bay
wing to right with central semi-circular bay having 3 windows in plain reveals
with recessed panels over; outer windows in recessed arch with carved draped
spears; cornice, parapet and coping. South west garden facade has semi-
circular bay to left with 3 French windows with recessed panels over, 2 windows
to right as on front, central first floor blind window. Interior: central
hall has elaborate cornice and oval lantern over open-well, open-string
staircase with carved sides to treads, gadrooned balusters and wreathed handrail;
panelled doors, marble and wood mantel-pieces.
Attached stable to north, early C19, rendered with slate roof and weathervane.
Single storey, central bay broken forward has 2 carriage entrances under large
pediment with round-headed window in tympanum, 3 windows in segmental heads to
right, only one visible to left, others obscured by C20 additions. Attached
wall, coursed rubble, with block of 3 dog kennels built against it, with hipped
slate roof and central ventilation louvre, each with hooped railings to
enclosures. Attached wall and plain piers.
Listing NGR: ST5745081358
Other nearby listed buildings