History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yatton Station Buildings and Footbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Yatton, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3909 / 51°23'27"N

Longitude: -2.8276 / 2°49'39"W

OS Eastings: 342511

OS Northings: 166084

OS Grid: ST425660

Mapcode National: GBR JD.RRGG

Mapcode Global: VH7CF.Y90L

Entry Name: Yatton Station Buildings and Footbridge

Listing Date: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33851

Location: Yatton, North Somerset, BS49

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Yatton

Built-Up Area: Yatton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yatton

Listing Text

YATTON C.P. STATION ROAD (south east side)
ST 46 NW
5/188 Yatton Station Buildings and
Footbridge
- II
2 station buildings, north of line Booking Office and Waiting Room, south of line
associated offices, footbridge linking the buildings across the line. 1841,
footbridge c.1870 with some later alterations. By I.K. Brunel who was engineer
to Bristol and Exeter Company. Coursed rubble with limestone dressings, north
building has hipped slate roof with stacks to sides, asbestos roof to south;
cast iron Tudor Gothic style. Single storey south building has 1/2-glazed door
with panelled lower part and 4-pane sash to right in one chamfered stone surround,
two 4-centred arched doors, one to left to former waiting room, panelled and
glazed door to left and 4-panelled door to right, 4-pane sash to right of left
door, all doors have broach stops to surrounds, 2 single lights to right in
chamfered surround; limestone plinth and quoins, 2 courses of ashlar under
eaves; canopy over platform supported on cast iron pierced arched-braces, canopy
extended further 3 bays to left, supported on 2 cast iron piers. Left return
has 4-pane sash; right return has chamfered door opening. Rear has 2 paired
single lights to left, 4-pane sash to right, single storey wooden addition with
4-pane sash to left side and rear, blocked window to right. Single storey north
building has 3 similar 4-centred arched door openings, Ladies Room with 1/2-glazed
and panelled door, Waiting Room has door with raised fillets and inset glass
panel, Booking Office has door with raised fillets; 2nd bay from left has
mullion and transom window, chamfered, in chamfered limestone surround, 2 bays
broken forward to right with Waiting Room door and bay in limestone ashlar with
6-light similar mullion and transom window; VR post box set in wall to right of
Booking Office door, wall extended at tower level to far right and curved round
concealing WC entrance; very deep eaves canopy supported on similar cast
brackets. Left return has small 4-pane light; rear has single light and door
with 4-centred arch, raised fillets, both chamfered surrounds, to left; wall
stepped forward to right with similar 6-light mullion and transom window and
similar 4-centred arched door with raised fillets and inset glass panel, end bay
to right set forward with 2-light casement in chamfered surround. Interior:
panelled walls in Waiting Room, fireplace on rear wall blocked, round-arched
opening in moulded surround (blocked) to Ticket Office, cornice; panelling in
Ticket Office. Footbridge to east has flight of C20 steps to each side, bridge
supported on 4 fine cast iron columns with raised ornament to base and top, leaf
capitals, cast iron bridge of 4 bays, span about 15 metres, supports for canopy
over footway, canopy missing. Yatton Station was opened 14th June 1841 as
Clevedon Road on Bristol and Exeter Railway, renamed Yatton on 28th July 1847 at
opening of branch to Clevedon; on 3rd August 1869 also became junction for new
line to Cheddar and Wells. (Sources: Oakley, M. : Railways in Avon 1983).


Listing NGR: ST4251166084

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.