This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3307 / 51°19'50"N
Longitude: -2.7497 / 2°44'58"W
OS Eastings: 347864
OS Northings: 159333
OS Grid: ST478593
Mapcode National: GBR JJ.WF18
Mapcode Global: VH894.9T68
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33913
Location: Burrington, North Somerset, BS40
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Burrington
Built-Up Area: Burrington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 45 NE BURRINGTON C.P. FRY'S LANE (west side)
9/45 Church of Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1884. Coursed rubble, freestone and
ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles,
south porch. 2 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses moulded string courses,
south east corner polygonal stair turret and embattled parapet with cruciform
arrow-slits. West facade has C15 opening with C19 tracery to lst stage and bell
stage has simple 2-light openings under pointed heads. C19 sundial on south
facade. South aisle has four C15 window openings with 3-light cusped C19
Perpendicular style tracery and carved head stops. Offset aisle buttresses,
moulded plinth and eaves cornice, triangular trefoil pierced openwork parapet with
crocketted pinnacles developing from buttresses and, at their bases, fine animal
gargoyles. North aisle has 5 Tudor-arched windows of plain 3-light tracery with
some C19 renewal and north door with chamfered paterae jambs and C15 plank door
with elaborate wooden tracery overlaid at head of arch. Similar parapet with
fine gargoyles and octagonal rood stair turret with pyramidal cap rising from
crocketted and tracery panelled drum. Chancel east window has C19 tracery set
within a C15 opening. South porch has similar buttressing and parapet as aisles
but with a simple triple chamfered pointed headed entrance arch and above, a
2-light window under a Tudor arch with face stops to former parvise which has a
stair turret at the west corner. Complexly moulded south doorway with C19 plank
and batten door. Compartmented roof with moulded ribs on corbels to former
parvise. Interior. 4-bay nave arcades of 4 clustered shafts to each pier with
tight foliage capitals on south side only; simple single chamfered arches.
Triple chamfered tower arch with moulded projecting imposts. Wagon roof to nave
with carved bosses. Single chamfer chancel arch with a carving of man holding
the lost rood screen to the right hand. C19 coved barrel roof to chancel and
cinquefoil-headed piscina on south wall next to mutilated carving of Christ with
censing angels. Aisle roofs carried on angel imposts and long wall shafts; fine
ridge bosses. Fittings. Pews and screens in end bays of aisles erected 1913.
C19 Perpendicular style pulpit, font and reredos. Royal coat of arms above tower
arch, also 2 flags or colours of East Mendip Legion (raised in 1803). Fine set
of late C19 stained glass. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North
Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4786559338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings