This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5486 / 50°32'54"N
Longitude: -4.7688 / 4°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 203938
OS Northings: 75750
OS Grid: SX039757
Mapcode National: GBR N0.GYNR
Mapcode Global: FRA 07WM.5Y7
Entry Name: Tretawn
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351521
Location: St. Kew, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Kew
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kew
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST KEW
(formerly listed as Tretawne)
House. Circa late C16. Rendered stone ruble, partly rebuilt on front near centre of
elevation. Rag slate roof with gable end on left, gable end to cross wing on front
right and gabled 2-storey porch to right of centre. Brick end stack to inner room on
left. Stone rubble rear lateral hall stack with moulded granite cap adjoining brick
stack serving back kitchen in rear outshut. Stone rubble axial stack with moulded
granite cap heating lower end with fireplace backing onto passage.
Plan: original arrangement of plan uncertain. House comprises 2-storey porch on
front to right of centre with wide through passage with hall to left heated by rear
lateral stack and inner room beyond heated by gable end stack. Circa early C19
framed stair in projection to rear of higher end of hall and circa C19 dairy added in
wing to rear of inner room. At lower side of passage the arrangement has been
altered and probably comprised a service range in a cross wing which is projected to
the rear where it was altered and converted into a dairy in circa mid C19: the roof
was lowered and the large kitchen stack removed. The small lower end room on the
front is now heated by a C19 fireplace which was probably inserted backing onto the
passage and using the circa late C16 stack originally built to serve the 2 back-to-
back fireplaces in the chambers above; a newel stair which is approached from the
passage projects into this front room. A kitchen range was added in a lean-to
outshut to the rear of the hall and passage probably circa mid C19.
2 storeys and attic, regular 3:1:1 window front with projecting 2-storey porch to
right of centre and slight projecting gable end to cross wing of service range on
right. 2-storey range on left with front wall partly rebuilt in late C20; ground
floor with C20 door in window opening to left and two 4-light mullion windows with
central king mullions, hood-moulds and diagonal leaded glass to hall on right. First
floor with late C19 6-pane sash, C19 16-pane sash and late C19 6-pane sash in 3-light
mullioned window opening to right. To right of porch, 16-pane sash in larger, partly
blocked opening with hood-mould above. First floor with 3-light mullioned window
with early diagonal leaded glass. Blocked attic window above with hood-mould.
Projecting 2-storey porch with segmental granite arch with hollow chamfer, ornate
stepped and ogee stops and carved spandrels. Hood-mould partly removed with later
dressed stone segmental arch with key stone. 3-light mullion window above with hood-
mould and C19 casements. Blocked attic window with hood-mould.
Interior Wide through passage with almost 3-centred granite arched entrances on
front and rear with slightly hollowed chamfers and pyramid stops. Circa 1700 rear
door with 6 raised and fielded panels and strap hinges. Hall on left with high
quality oak hall screen of circa early C17. On the hall side the panel frame of
stiles, muntins and rails is scratch moulded and the central entrance is flanked by
incised pilasters. The frieze above is carved with stylised acanthus leaves and the
moulded cornice may have been added, projecting into the moulded plaster cornice
which appears contemporary. The passage side of the screen is plainer with slightly
raised panels. The door, although possibly contemporary may have been modified and
is undecorated on the hall side. On 2 sides of the hall, a circa early C17 plaster
frieze remains intact with floral trail and moulded cornice. This cornice was
removed on the front side, probably when the front wall was rebuilt and is partly
obscured by the cornice of the screen. C20 hall chimney piece. Framed probably
early C19 stair to rear of hall. Inner room with chamfered granite fireplace. In
service range at lower end a C19 fireplace backs onto the passage and in the dairy to
the rear are circa C17 chamfered ceiling beams with straight-cut stops, 2 salting
kevers and slate slabs. The back kitchen in the outshut to rear of the hall is
heated by a fireplace which is back-to-back with the hall fireplace. Reset in the
right-hand jamb is a piece of carved granite with '1620 P M' (Phila Molesworth). The
timber newel stair approached from the lower side of the passage with an ovolo-
moulded doorframe; the stair was possibly lit by a window, now blocked which would
have used borrowed light from the service range. Chamber above service range on
front has granite fireplace with chamfered lintel and jambs with truncated pyramid
stops, probably original granite kerb and pentan to rear. Door leading from lower
end chamber into first floor of porch has circa early C17 ovolo-moulded doorframe
with elongated scroll stops and original 6-panel door with scratch moulded framing.
2 chambers above hall and through passage also have granite fireplaces with chamfered
lintels and jambs, one with pyramid stops and the other with scroll stops. Chamber
above inner room has corbelled granite fireplace with chamfered lintel and jambs now
blocked and rear lateral stack which once served it has been removed.
Roof structure probably replaced in circa mid to late C17. The 7-bay roof above the
hall, inner room and through passage is divided from the lower end by a stone rubble
wall which rises to the apex. 2 trusses above inner room and wing to rear renewed in
circa mid C20. 4 trusses above hall and passage with chamfered collars have been
partly halved, lapped and pegged onto the face of the principals each with 3 timber
pegs and splayed dovetailed-type joints. 2-tiers of trenched purlins (renewed) and
renewed diagonal set ridge. Similar truss above porch with 'N Bray 1888' on collar.
Nicholas Bray was a local carpenter still remembered by elderly local inhabitants.
Roof above service range replaced to rear in circa late C19 with front range
In 1438 Thomas Lanhergy received 6s 3d from Nicholas Colapyn for relief on the death
of his father John Colapyn for the whole of the ville of Tretoun. By C16 Tretawn was
in the possession of Francis Carnsew (qv Bokelly) and in late C16 was brought by the
Kestell family. Later conveyed to John Molesworth of Pencarrow (see datestone 1620
PM in back kitchen). Later came to John Godolphin who sold Tretawn to William
Keigwin of Moleshole in 1659.
Information from tenants.
Listing NGR: SX0393875750
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings