History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Threapwood, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0023 / 53°0'8"N

Longitude: -2.8359 / 2°50'9"W

OS Eastings: 344002

OS Northings: 345329

OS Grid: SJ440453

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.GTY0

Mapcode Global: WH897.DSTP

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55180

Location: Threapwood, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Threapwood

Built-Up Area: Threapwood

Traditional County: Flintshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East side)

3/39 Church of St John

Church, formerly an extraparochial chapel 1815. Brick, slate roof.
Rectangular intact Georgian church. West end has pedimented gables
and brick pilaster strips at angles and either side of central moulded
pedimented doorcase which is in timber. Brick band at eaves level,
gable modillions. East end is plain, north and south sides are
symmetrical, with 5 windows with stone cills, brick heads and iron
glazing bars, 2 to each side of door; one blind window over door,
which has moulded timber doorcase. Brick plinth is chamfered and has
moulded stone caps at angles. Octagonal open cupola at west end has
ogival lead roof, and finial.
Interior: Iron galleries with timber rail round 3 walls supported an
iron columns broken at west end by pedimented panelled timber niche
with scroll brackets over door. Similar iron altar rail and front to
pews. 2 box pews at sides of altar for the patrons, the Broughton and
Kenyon families, have brass name plates. Panelled timber reredos in 3
parts, bearing Lords Prayer and Credo to left and right and extract
from Exodus in divided central panel. Moulded cornice continues as
base of gallery. Octagonal pulpit, reading desk. 2 brass chandeliers
(1817). Pevsner and Hubbard. Richards.

Listing NGR: SJ4400245329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.