History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdelene

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.992 / 52°59'31"N

Longitude: -2.8273 / 2°49'38"W

OS Eastings: 344567

OS Northings: 344174

OS Grid: SJ445441

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.HHQS

Mapcode Global: WH89F.J2X2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdelene

Listing Date: 16 October 2008

Last Amended: 16 October 2008

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87570

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Towards the middle of the linear village, on the SW side of the road.

County: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Tallarn Green

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hanmer

History

The church was built in 1872-3 to designs of John Edge, and at the expense of members of the Kenyon family of Gredington, one of several buildings in the village to be associated with the family. A clock tower was added in 1888. In 1940, R.S. Thomas (having recently married) had the living. It was during his brief ministry here that he determined to learn Welsh to enable him to return to Welsh-speaking Wales.

Exterior

Simple early gothic style. Rock-faced snecked red sandstone with tooled plinth and gold freestone dressings. Very steep shingle roof (replacing original tiles). Nave with apsidal east end; SW porch with added clock-tower in its western angle. Lancet windows (paired in north wall of nave), with double chamfered surrounds. Steep roof to porch, with gablets to kneelers of coped gable. Double chamfered arched entrance, with relief figure in quatrefoil over, and simpler chamfered doorway within (in red sandstone). Clock tower clasped in western angle of porch: slightly battered tower with tiered spirelet. Vestry projects from east end of nave north wall: shouldered arched doorway in west wall, and lancet window to east.

Interior

Simple undivided space comprising nave with steps up to apsidal chancel and sanctuary. Timber trusses with wrought-iron ties, with wall posts sprung from stone corbels; timber ribs to apse, herringbone boarding between trusses and ribs. Original fittings include pulpit incorporated in low stone wall at chancel steps: low-relief panels between polished granite banded shafts and chevron frieze; choir stalls and brass communion rail; font at west end, a simple bowl with chevron decoration and inscribed band, supported on clustered shafts.
Stained glass: north wall of nave has window by Trina Cox (commemoration date, 1969); a series of 4 late C19 windows in apse in good late medieval tradition. South and west windows by Francis Skeats (commemoration dates 1969 and 1975).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a simple gothic revival village church retaining original character, including some fittings. Part of a significant group of buildings associated with the Greddington estate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lychgate to Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
    Lychgate to Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
  • II Kenyon Cottages
    Located on the south-west side of the main road through Tallarn Green, at the top of the village and adjacent to the village school.
  • II Tallarn Green Temperance Room
    Located off the main Tallarn Green road, and on the edge of fields farmed from Pear Tree Farm. Hidden behind modern house to road front.
  • II Bridge Cottages, Hurdle View
    Located next to the road on the south-eastern edge of Tallarn Green at Hurdle View, as the ground begins to rise from the Y-junction at the end of the main road through Tallarn Green.
  • II Oak Farm Farmhouse
    Located at right angles to the by-road shortly after the Y-junction with the main road to Tallarn Green.
  • II Sarn Bridge
    To north-west of Tallarn Green, spanning the Wych Brook, the border between Wales and England.
  • II Windmill 130yds East of Mill House
    Threapwood, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14
  • II* Church of St John
    Threapwood, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.