History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Plymstock, City of Plymouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3548 / 50°21'17"N

Longitude: -4.1167 / 4°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 249516

OS Northings: 52681

OS Grid: SX495526

Mapcode National: GBR NX.W4D7

Mapcode Global: FRA 2883.80S

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 1 May 1975

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473240

Location: Plymouth, PL9

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Plymstock Radford

Built-Up Area: Plymstock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Turnchapel

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4952NE CHURCH HILL ROAD
740-1/78/597 (East side)
01/05/75 Plymstock, Hooe (Lower)
Church of St John
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH HILL ROAD
Plymstock, Lower Hooe
Parish Church of St John's)

GV II

Parish church. 1855 by William White. Plymouth limestone
rubble walls with limestone dressings; very steep dry slate
roofs; bellcote with paired openings over the W end of the
nave.
STYLE: simple early-mid Gothic.
PLAN: nave; long chancel; S aisle and S porch.
EXTERIOR: paired lancet windows with quatrefoils over. Porch
has pointed -arched doorway with 2 chamfered orders.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade of unmoulded pointed arches on squat
octagonal black marble piers with chamfered capitals; painted
roof trusses to chancel.
FITTINGS: red marble font on slightly tapered limestone base;
very complete chancel furnishings of coloured marble in early
Decorated style; reredos with gabled arcading and pierced
tracery; credence shelf with little Gothic aedicule; communion
rails with trefoil arches; simple marble sedilia; alter front
with carved and painted wooden tracery; choir stalls moved to
W end of church in 1968; screen of 1907; linenfold panelling
to nave, 1916 by Violet Pinwell.
STAINED GLASS: mostly post-war, some by G Cooper Abbs.
MONUMENTS: 2 Gothic tablets to the Rev. J Tapson, who died
1904, and family.
Part of a distinguished group by White, including St Johns
Church Hall (qv), built on the initiative of Sir Frederick
Rogers who was a keen Tractarian.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
681 & 682).


Listing NGR: SX4951652681

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.