History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ham, City of Plymouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3988 / 50°23'55"N

Longitude: -4.1653 / 4°9'55"W

OS Eastings: 246202

OS Northings: 57672

OS Grid: SX462576

Mapcode National: GBR R6J.RG

Mapcode Global: FRA 275Z.T8B

Entry Name: Ham House

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473823

Location: Plymouth, PL2

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Ham

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Plymouth

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/02/2016


SX4657NW
740-1/26/252

PLYMOUTH, Ham,
TEWKESBURY CLOSE,
Ham House

25/01/54

(Formerly Listed as:
HAM, Ham House (Library))

II

Farmhouse, later a country house, more recently a library, a care home, and flats. 1639 for Robert Trelawney, a merchant of Plymouth, altered in 1739 and late C19, when most of the windows were replaced in the style of the original windows, and extensions were made at the rear. Rendered rubble with original granite dressings and C19 freestone dressings; steep dry slate roofs with slightly-projecting eaves and verges with barge boards with central pendants; 2 tall brick gable and lateral stacks with entablature to left and rear of left-hand wing, other stacks demolished or truncated. U-shaped plan plus T-plan wing at rear right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 1:2:1-window front with original moulded round-arched central doorway with date, carved spandrels and hoodmould; flanking original 2-light mullioned windows with 2-light C19 transomed windows above; full-width porch between wings carried on paired Tuscan columns at either end. Front of left-hand wing with 3-light windows, the other wing with 4-light windows, all C19 and with hoodmoulds; similar windows to side elevations. At rear of left-hand side is an C18 Venetian window with moulded cornices and leaded glazing.

Listing NGR: SX4620257672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.