This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5288 / 52°31'43"N
Longitude: -0.3951 / 0°23'42"W
OS Eastings: 508969
OS Northings: 293536
OS Grid: TL089935
Mapcode National: GBR GYR.GXT
Mapcode Global: VHFNC.3PGS
Entry Name: Estate Workshops Circa 10 Metres North of Number 15 Overend
Listing Date: 16 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54875
Location: Elton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8
Civil Parish: Elton
Built-Up Area: Elton
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Elton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2015
OVEREND (East Side),
Estate workshops c.10 metres north of No. 15 Overend
Workshops, formerly part of the iron foundry built for James Hayes. Early to mid C19. Coursed limestone rubble and C19 brick with freestone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Main two storey range of five bays with single storey gable addition to west, two storey recessed addition to east and rear outshuts. Large west gable end brick stack reduced below eaves, and ridge stack to west extension. Main range; four ground floor cast iron windows with small panes and five similar first floor windows all with stone lintels, segmental stone arch with keystone and double boarded doors hung with very fine cast iron hinges, one with a hand holding a heart. West extension: two boarded doors and two cast iron windows with small panes in segmental brick arches.
Affixed to the west, gable-end, wall of the west range, facing the parish church and Elton’s main war memorial, is a Calvary-style memorial. Constructed c.1917, it was originally sited at Rectory Farm (TL087938), but when this was sold it was moved to its present position. The memorial is believed to be foremost a memorial to Joscelyn, Baroness Lewal, a member of the Proby family (the estate owners) who died on 13 June 1917 aged 29. However, when the memorial was erected the family decided it should include reference to all those from the village who, to date, had served and died in the war. It carries the inscriptions
ALL YE WHO PASS BY REMEMBER BEFORE GOD THE MEAN WHO HAVE GONE FORTH FROM THIS PLACE TO SERVE THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR
WHOSOEVER WILL SAVE HIS LIFE SHALL LOSE IT/ WHOSOEVER WILL LOSE HIS LIFE FOR MY SAKE THE SAME SHALL FIND IT
A small wooden plaque beneath the Christ figure is inscribed O SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD, WHO/ BY THY DEATH AND PRECIOUS BLOOD HAST REDEEMED US./ SAVE THEM AND HELP THEM/ WE HUMBLY BESEECH THEE/ O LORD
Beneath that is a decorative wooden plaque inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE DEAR MEMORY OF/ JOSCELYN BARONESS LEWAL/ WHO DIED AT PA [DAMAGED] ON 13TH JUNE 1917/ AGED 29 YEARS/ SHE WAS READY
Listing NGR: TL0896993536
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings