History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Gidding, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4348 / 52°26'5"N

Longitude: -0.359 / 0°21'32"W

OS Eastings: 511655

OS Northings: 283130

OS Grid: TL116831

Mapcode National: GBR GZZ.62Z

Mapcode Global: VHFNY.Q2KB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 28 January 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54769

Location: Great Gidding, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Great Gidding

Built-Up Area: Great Gidding

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gidding St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Sawtry

Listing Text

TL 1083 GT GIDDING MAIN STREET
(North West side)

13/50 Parish Church of
28.1.58 St Michael

II*

Parish church. Mid C13 south doorway resited. Late C13 chancel. Tower early
C14, late C14 belfry, C15 parapet and spire. Chancel arch and nave rebuilt
c.1400 and late C15 north and south aisles and south porch. Restoration
c.1870, south porch rebuilt and chancel restored. Tower and chancel arch
rebuilt 1925. Walls of limestone and field stone rubble, Ketton and Barnack
ashlar and dressings. Roofs of slates and lead. South elevation: Tower of
four stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet with grotesque faces and
carved gargoyles, and frieze of quatrefoil panels; tower surmounted by
octagonal spire. Belfry windows each with two embattled transomed-lights and
quatrefoil in two-centred head. Two tiers of spirelights each with two
trefoiled-lights and quatrefoil in a gabled head. Clerestory with four
windows of two cinquefoiled-lights with pierced spandrels in four-centred
heads. Moulded parapet to nave and aisle with carved gargoyles. South aisle
with three windows; mid C14 western window of three trefoiled-ogee-lights
with reticulated tracery in a two-centred head; two eastern windows with
three cinquefoil-lights in four-centred heads with moulded reveals. South
doorway mid C13 with a two-centred head of two orders, the outer order with
shafted jambs and moulded capitals with abaci continued as an impost. South
porch rebuilt with original material with two-centred archway of two chamfered
orders with a moulded label. Chancel with three windows, two original lancet
windows similar to north wall and one with reticulated tracery similar to
south aisle window. Interior: Nave arcade c.1400 of four bays with
two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, circular piers and semi-circular
responds with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch two-centred of two
chamfered orders, the outer order with semi-octagonal responds, moulded
capitals and chamfered plinths. Chancel, north and south walls with arcades of
two bays, each with two-centred arches of one stop-chamfered order. C13
'low-side' window with doorway. Roofs: nave c.1500 of four bays with moulded
and cambered tie beams curved and cusped braces, low king posts and moulded
ridge and purlins; south aisle pent roof of five bays with braced tie beams,
some reused C15 and C17 timber one inscribed '1629 John Lamb Churchwarden'.
Piscenae; in chancel with trefoiled head, moulded jambs and label, late C13;
in north aisle with two-centred head and chamfered jambs C14; in south aisle
with trefoiled-ogee-head C14. Communion rails, early C17 with three rails and
two rows of balusters (qv Leighton Bromswold, Cambs). Small octagonal wooden
panel with inscribed square 'Sator, Arepo, Tinet, Opera, Rotas' with initials
'ER' and dated '1614'. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p98
VCH: Huntingdonshire p51
Pevsner: Buildings of England p250


Listing NGR: TL1165583130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.