History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gidding, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4337 / 52°26'1"N

Longitude: -0.3575 / 0°21'27"W

OS Eastings: 511760

OS Northings: 283016

OS Grid: TL117830

Mapcode National: GBR GZZ.DF7

Mapcode Global: VHFNY.R3C4

Entry Name: Baptist Church

Listing Date: 9 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222773

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54772

Location: Great Gidding, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Great Gidding

Built-Up Area: Great Gidding

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gidding St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Sawtry

Listing Text

The following building shall be downgraded to Grade II:-

TL 1083 GREAT GIDDING MAIN STREET
(south east side)

13/53 Baptist Church

II*

and the list entry shall be amended to read:

TL 1083 GREAT GIDDING MAIN STREET
(south east side)

13/53 Baptist Church

II

Chapel. Dated 1790 on stone plaque with C19 addition to rear. Coursed
limestone rubble with hipped slated roof; C19 red brick and pantiled
roof. One galleried storey. Symmetrical entrance facade of three
'bays'. Openings with flat dressed stone arches and plain key blocks.
Two plain C20 doors with rectangular fanlights, deeply recessed with
central sixteen-paned hung sash window, three similar slightly
recessed first floor windows. Two plain stone plaques between first
floor windows with inscriptions painted black 'The building Erected
by Subscription' and 'For a Place of Worship 1790'. (Dated
inscriptions on side walls.) Interior: Gallery on three sides
supported on slender columns, gallery seating simple pine benches; two
gallery staircases. In 1992 the box-pews, rostrum and brick floor were
removed and the C19 emersion bath was altered. The original chapel was
founded at Winwick in 1780.
Minute books and registers from 1811. HRO

------------------------------------

TL 1083 GT GIDDING MAIN STREET
(South East side)

13/53 Baptist Church

II*

Chapel. Dated 1790 on stone plaque with C19 addition to rear. Coursed
limestone rubble with hipped slated roof; C19 red brick and pantiled roof.
One galleried storey. Symmetrical entrance facade of three 'bays'. Openings
with flat dressed stone arches and plain key blocks. Two plain C20 doors with
rectangular fanlights, deeply recessed with central sixteen-paned hung sash
window, three similar slightly recessed first floor windows. Two plain stone
plaques between first floor windows with inscriptions painted black 'The
building Erected by Subscription' and 'For a Place of Worship 1790'. (Dated
inscriptions on side walls). Interior: Gallery on three sides supported on
slender columns, gallery seating simple pine benches; two gallery staircases.
Boxed pews with fielded panels complete. Pulpit with reeded panels enlarged
from original. Original brick floors. Emersion bath C19. The original
chapel was founded at Winwick in 1780.

Minute books and registers from 1811. HRO


Listing NGR: TL1176083016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.