This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5376 / 51°32'15"N
Longitude: -0.1347 / 0°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 529462
OS Northings: 183731
OS Grid: TQ294837
Mapcode National: GBR F2.XZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.MM43
Entry Name: Numbers 6-22 Royal College Street, and Attached Railings and Bollard in Pedestrian Way of Number 12
Listing Date: 18 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477886
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017
TQ 2983 NW,
ROYAL COLLEGE STREET (east side),
Nos. 6-22 (even) and attached railings and bollard in pedestrian way of no. 12
Terrace of nine houses.
Nos. 14-22: late C18, probably built by Joseph Kirkman and
Alexander Hendy as part of the development of Lord Camden's
Estate. Yellow stock brick with stuccoed ground floors and
continuous second-floor sill band. Four storeys and cellar, two
windows each. Round-arched entrances with later doors and
fanlights. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, first
floor having iron window guards. Parapet.
Nos. 6-10: early C19. Yellow stock brick with stuccoed ground
floor and first-floor band. Symmetrical design, the central
house slightly projecting. Windows 1:2:1. Three storeys and
basements; no. 8 with attic. Nos. 6 and 10 have round-arched
ground floor openings; doorways have fanlights and later
doors, sash windows with glazing bars. No. 8 has square-headed
ground floor openings, doorway with overlight and later door
and sash window with glazing bars.
Upper floors have gauged
brick flat arches to later 2-pane sashes; no. 8 with an attic
lunette sash. Stone-coped parapets of nos. 6 and 10, with brick
modillions, sweep up to the higher parapet of no. 8 in the form
of a pediment. Nos. 6-10 are not on a map of 1806 but appear by
Greenwood's Map of 1827 flanking a lane known as Upper College
No. 12: early C19. Built over the beginning of Upper College
Grove and linking nos. 10 and 14 Royal College Street;
pedestrian access only to the lane, now known as College
Grove, via the round-arched right-hand passage-way with the
original cast-iron bollard. Three storeys and basement, two windows.
Round-arched entrance with rusticated keystone, fanlight and
later door. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes;
ground floor with glazing bars; upper floors, 2-pane. Parapet.
INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to retain some original
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Kirkman and Hendy were amongst the first
speculative builders to take leases following Lord Camden's
Estate Act passed in 1788 for the building of 1,400 houses for
"industrious artisans" on the southern part of his Kentish
Town Estate. Their first take was in June 1790 and the leases
for the houses on Royal College Street all ran from Michaelmas
1790. Nos. 14-22 appear on the Stockdale Map of 1797.
The French poets and partners Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud lived at 8 Royal College Street from May-July 1873.
Listing NGR: TQ2947383711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings