History in Structure

Numbers 75-85 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in St Pancras and Somers Town, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5376 / 51°32'15"N

Longitude: -0.1351 / 0°8'6"W

OS Eastings: 529434

OS Northings: 183727

OS Grid: TQ294837

Mapcode National: GBR F2.TZ

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.LMX4

Plus Code: 9C3XGVQ7+2X

Entry Name: Numbers 75-85 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 18 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477888

ID on this website: 101130409

Location: Camden Town, Camden, London, NW1

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



798-1/77/1405 (West side)
18/03/93 Nos.75-85 (Odd)
and attached railings


Terrace of 6 houses. Late C18. Probably built by Joseph
Kirkman and Alexander Hendy as part of the development of Lord
Camden's Estate. Patched yellow stock brick; Nos 75 & 85 with
channelled stucco ground floors, all with continuous stucco
1st floor sill band. Slated mansard roofs, each with a dormer
and slab chimney-stacks on the party walls. 3 storeys, attics
and basements. Round-arched entrances, with rusticated
keystones except No.89, fanlights and later doors; entrances
to end houses on returns. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed
sashes. Parapets.
INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to retain some original
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Kirkman and Hendy were amongst the first
speculative builders to take leases following Lord Camden's
Estate Act passed in 1788 for the building of 1,400 houses for
"industrious artisans" on the southern part of his Kentish
Town Estate. Their first take was in June 1790 and the leases
for the houses on Royal College Street all ran from Michaelmas
1790. Nos 75-85 appear on the Stockdale Map of 1797.

Listing NGR: TQ2942983732

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.