This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3168 / 54°19'0"N
Longitude: -2.2054 / 2°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 386735
OS Northings: 491270
OS Grid: SD867912
Mapcode National: GBR FL1J.B9
Mapcode Global: WHB5F.3R2H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St John
Listing Date: 25 March 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323173
Location: High Abbotside, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: High Abbotside
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2018
SD 89 SE
Church of St Mary and St John
(Formerly listed as Church of Saint Mary and Saint John, HARDROW)
Church. 1879-81. By R H Carpenter for the Earl of Wharncliffe. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof.
Nave with west bellcote and south porch, chancel with north vestry, 4:2 bays. Porch: pointed-arched doorway of two chamfered orders dying into rounded responds. Above, in gable, trefoiled niche. Inner doorway: neo-Romanesque, one order with water-leaf capitals. Nave windows: paired lancets with quatrefoil above in plate tracery. Chancel: two trefoiled lights; priest's doorway matching that of porch; one trefoiled light. Copings. Gable crosses. East window of three stepped lancets. North windows: single lights. West window: two trefoiled lights with sexfoil above. Neo-Romanesque two-light bellcote.
Interior: Early English-style chancel arch of two chamfered orders. Vestry screen C17, panelled with fluted frieze.Plaque in vestry recording C18 grants from Queen Anne's Bounty. In nave, brass of Alice Stuart, d 1788.
Listing NGR: SD8673591270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings