This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7822 / 53°46'55"N
Longitude: -1.0773 / 1°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 460895
OS Northings: 432153
OS Grid: SE608321
Mapcode National: GBR NSXP.KY
Mapcode Global: WHFD2.F67C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 November 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325780
Location: Selby, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Selby
Built-Up Area: Selby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Selby St Mary and St Germain
Church of England Diocese: York
1. (north side)
Church of St Mary
SE 6032 SE 3/92
1854. Roman Catholic. Architect: Messrs Hanson of Bath. Built at expense of
Hon Laura Maria Petre (1811-86), widow of the Hon E R Petre (1795-1848); Liberal
MP for York (1832-2) and Lord of the Manor of Selby (1801-48); to accommodate
the influx of Irish labourers in the Town.
Hammer-dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. Decorated style.
Nave, chancel, lean-to aisles, tower over south door with broach spire and diagonal
buttresses, apsidal baptistery at west end, vestry and sacristry, and a quite
exceptional north-west chapel decorated internally with undressed stone in the
manner of a grotto.
Interior: Elaborately sculpted pulpit, contemporary font, and crocketed font
cover. Three-bay arcade to west gallery. Stained glass. East window by Wailes.
Window of Sacred Heart Chapel by Ball.
Listing NGR: SE6089532153
Other nearby listed buildings