This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3774 / 53°22'38"N
Longitude: -1.1605 / 1°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 455947
OS Northings: 387052
OS Grid: SK559870
Mapcode National: GBR NYBD.K0
Mapcode Global: WHDDV.4CNP
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335806
Location: Letwell, Rotherham, S81
Civil Parish: Letwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
LETWELL CHURCH LANE
3/58 Church of St. Peter
Church. C15 tower and north wall of nave, otherwise rebuilt 1820 (patron
H. G. Knight) burnt down 1867 and rebuilt by 1869 (patron Sir Thomas Woolaston White).
Ashlar limestone, graduated slate roof; West tower, 4-bay nave and apsidal chancel
in one with north vestry. Tower: 3 stages, Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth and
wave-moulded band, string courses between stages. Diagonal west buttresses flank
3-light window with cavetto-moulded surround and hoodmould; louvred 2-light belfry
openings beneath pointed arches. Embattled parapet with north gargoyle and crocketed
corner pinnacles; tiled pyramidal roof. Nave: south wall rebuilt 1869 (dated
rainwater head) with west angle buttress against tower, diagonal east buttress and
buttresses between bays. Porch to bay 1 has pointed arch with hoodmould and
crow-stepped gable. Other bays with chamfered, square-headed 2-light windows with
mouchettes; eaves cornice. North wall: 2 western bays with C15 ashlar walling,
position of blocked north door and contemporary window, eastern bay of rubble with
C19 window as south. Chancel: reticulated tracery to 3-light east window, flanking
2-light windows divided by buttresses, apex cross. North vestry: gabled with
2-light window and apex cross. Coupled stacks to main roof above vestry.
Interior: C19 tower arch with 3 chamfered orders to east, inner order on corbels.
Nave and chancel: string course beneath windows, contrasting ashlar bands and
contrasting voussoirs to window heads; plaque at west end of north wall records
fire and rebuilding of 1869. Font: carved bowl set on cylindrical pillar and
4 shafts and inscribed 'Fanny White / Sculpt'. Fittings of 1869 including
poppyhead bench ends. Stained glass: several windows of 1870 by Henry Holiday,
made by Powell's (Pevsner, p351).
N. Pevsner, B. O. E. 1967 ed.
Listing NGR: SK5594787052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings