This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3845 / 53°23'4"N
Longitude: -1.3512 / 1°21'4"W
OS Eastings: 443251
OS Northings: 387710
OS Grid: SK432877
Mapcode National: GBR MY09.8H
Mapcode Global: WHDDR.66T7
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335724
Location: Treeton, Rotherham, S60
Civil Parish: Treeton
Built-Up Area: Treeton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsworth and Catliffe
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK48NW TREETON CHURCH LANE
7/88 Church of St. Helen
Church. C12 north arcade and lower part of tower, otherwise late C13 and early
C14 with C15 additions of south chapel, south porch, west bay of nave and
clerestorey, present roofs and upper stage of tower. Restored 1869 and 1892,
C19 vestry extended 1973. Rubble and ashlar sandstone, some limestone dressings
and ashlar limestone upper stage to tower; lead roofs. 3-stage south-west tower;
3-bay nave with 2-bay aisles, south porch and north-west vestry additions; 3-bay
chancel with 2-bay south chapel. Tower: rubble walling to lower stages; lancet
west window, string course with 3 slit windows set in-line above; clock on east
side. Weathered string course beneath Perpendicular upper stage with transomed
2-light belfry openings, string course with water spouts beneath embattled parapet
with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: gabled porch has renewed pointed doorway, older
hoodmould, cuboid apex finial. South door within has single order of shafts with
waterleaf capitals and moulded segmental arch. Bay to right has buttress to right
of renewed 3-light window with reticulated tracery; string course beneath coped
parapet with pinnacles. North aisle: two 2-light windows in double-chamfered
surrounds, east window with trefoil-headed light. West end of nave has diagonal
buttress to left; chamfered plinth and wave-moulded band interrupted by west door;
3-light, Tudor-arched, west window has hoodmould with carved-head stops. Square-
headed clerestorey windows of 2 cusped lights; embattled parapet with corner
pinnacles. Chancel: chamfered plinth and band; angle buttresses. Central buttress
to north side with, to its west, a renewed 3-light window with reticulated tracery,
pointed priest's door and early 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights and
small hoodmould. Similar early windows to each side of easternmost bay. Moulded
copings to parapet embattled at east end above 3-light window with reticulated
tracery. South chapel with chamfered plinth, wave-moulded band, diagonal buttress
and buttress between two 3-light, square-headed windows with cusped lights.
Parapet as aisle.
Interior: north arcade has one octagonal pier with moulded capital; round arches
with single step. Other arches double-chamfered and pointed, south aisle on
quatrefoil pier with foliate-carved capital and nailhead motif to abacus. Blocked
doorway in north side of tower has shouldered lintel. Erect effigy of knight
built into nave west wall, medieval grave slab against east wall behind pulpit.
Cl4 sedilia with half-arch at west end interrupted by opening to south chapel.
Trefoil-headed piscina, restored. Good roofs throughout, moulded and with cambered
tie beams and carved bosses; in chancel, arch braces spring from carved angels.
Fittings: C17 panelling forms dado to nave and aisles, carved dates from c1630.
Cl6 bench ends to pew in nave with 2 tiers of traceried panels, back rail with
Latin inscription. Screen to south chapel partly Cl7, records restoration in
memory of Rev. Watkins, 1892; another early pew within south chapel.
Listing NGR: SK4325087708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings