This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7924 / 53°47'32"N
Longitude: -1.7412 / 1°44'28"W
OS Eastings: 417145
OS Northings: 432926
OS Grid: SE171329
Mapcode National: GBR JML.M3
Mapcode Global: WHC99.7Y32
Entry Name: Feversham Street First School
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336441
Location: Bradford, BD3
Electoral Ward/Division: Bowling and Barkerend
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1/47/514 FEVERSHAM STREET
09-AUG-83 FEVERSHAM STREET FIRST SCHOOL
Board school. 1873, commissioned by the Bradford School Board (found in 1870) from Lockwood and Mawson. An expensive Gothic Revival style design with Early English details. Single-storey long rectangular plan, asymmetrical front. Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings.
Cross wing hall at north-east end. Two light mullioned windows to school rooms. Off centre group of gabled cross hall with paired 2 light plate tracery windows, flanked by elaborate small scale tower porch with colonetted and spired lantern rising on octagonal shaft from broached base, to left hand pinnacled buttress to right with gabled porch abutting. Steep pitched slate roofs. Finials to gable ends.
This school later (1876) became the first mixed Higher Elementary Board School in England.
Listing NGR: SE1714532926
Other nearby listed buildings