This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8671 / 53°52'1"N
Longitude: -1.81 / 1°48'36"W
OS Eastings: 412589
OS Northings: 441228
OS Grid: SE125412
Mapcode National: GBR HRSQ.XH
Mapcode Global: WHC92.52B7
Entry Name: Eldwick Hall
Listing Date: 9 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338008
Location: Bingley, Bradford, BD16
Civil Parish: Bingley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE14SW BINGLEY OTLEY ROAD
SE126412 (west side of)Lane-Head
2/102 Eldwick Hall
House. Initialled and dated " R L 1696 " (Richard Longbottom).
Dressed gritstone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic.
2-cell central lobby-entry plan, double-depth. 3-bay facade has
doorway with unusual carved doorcase which has outer rusticated
jambs with an inner eared architrave; the lintel is inscribed with
the date. The face of the wall above the door is raised by a shallow
projection ascending to the eaves and framing a 2-light window with
an ogee surround with carved floret set in apex at lst-floor level.
To either side double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed cruciform
windows of 4 lights to left (parlour) and 6 lights to right (hall)
on both floors. Ground-floor dripmould with small scroll stops.
Shaped gutter brackets. Coped gables with kneelers and acorn finials
to eaves and apex. Central stack to ridge. Rear: outshut to rear
of 2nd cell has quoins, plinth and stack. 2 lateral stacks. Altered
windows in keeping. Left-hand return has double-chamfered mullioned-
and-transomed window of 4 lights with 4-light chamfered mullioned
window above. Cross-window at mezzanine level to light stairs.
Right-hand return has almost central doorway with composite jambs
and chamfered surround which rises to form a false ogee lintel. To
left a 6-light C20 window, to right a 5-light double-chamfered mullioned
window. Dripmould returned from front. lst-floor has 3-light and
4-light windows with almost square reveals. 2-light window to attic
has arched lights. To right-hand end a lst-floor doorway with composite
jambs, chamfered surround and lintel carved " I H S 1716 " (now altered
to form a 2-light window), reached by a flight of 13 stone steps with
a simple parapet to top landing.
Interior: largely altered mid C20. Steps lead down to the original
cellar: this has a segmental-arched vault. The rear of the house
contained an unheated back parlour in the north-west angle, and a
kitchen at the north-east angle. The kitchen was heated by a stack,
now largely rebuilt, on the north wall.
An interesting house which in its decorative detail attempts to
combine classical features with the more local vernacular style.
Listing NGR: SE1258941228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings