History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Toils Farmhouse and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Bingley, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8702 / 53°52'12"N

Longitude: -1.8094 / 1°48'33"W

OS Eastings: 412632

OS Northings: 441573

OS Grid: SE126415

Mapcode National: GBR HRTP.2C

Mapcode Global: WHC8W.5ZND

Entry Name: Toils Farmhouse and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338012

Location: Bradford, BD16

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Bingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bingley

Listing Text

SE14SW BINGLEY OTLEY ROAD
SE126416 (west side of)Lane Head

2/106 Toils Farmhouse
and attached barn

II

Wrongly marked Middle Farm on O. S. maps. Laithe-house. c1770.
Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys.
5-bay barn to left of 2-cell central baffle-entry house.
House: doorway with monolithic jambs has cyma-moulded surround which
rises to form false ogee lintel; single-light window above has similar
surround with false-arched lintel. To either side on both floors a
3-light flat-faced mullioned window with recessed mullions with inner
chamfer and chamfered surround. Central stack offset from ridge.
Barn: segmental-arched cart entry with skewbacks and composite jambs.
To left, mistal doorway with monolithic jambs and chamfered surround.
Coped gable with kneelers to left. Left bay now part of house.
Extension to house, to right, in keeping re-uses original coping and
kneelers.

Interior: housebody has fireplace with monolithic jambs and segmental-
arched bressumer with incised voussoirs, stop-chamfered spine beams
and floor joists with ogee stops. Parlour has similar beamed ceiling.
It is recorded that John Wesley stayed here on several visits to the
area between preaching in Bingley and Ilkley in 1776. Formerly the
window had an engraved piece of glass with a portrait of Wesley and
an elegy to death dated 1776. This glass is now preserved in Eldwick
Methodist church.

An outbuilding has re-used datestone c1777 the house may be of similar
date.


Listing NGR: SE1263241573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.