History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Law Russell Warehouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in City, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7943 / 53°47'39"N

Longitude: -1.747 / 1°44'49"W

OS Eastings: 416760

OS Northings: 433137

OS Grid: SE167331

Mapcode National: GBR JLK.DF

Mapcode Global: WHC99.4WBM

Entry Name: Law Russell Warehouse

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337284

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 VICAR LANE BD1
(south-west side)

No 63
(Law Russell Warehouse)
SE 1633 Sll 37/1155

II*


2.
A home trade - warehouse designed and built in 1873 by Lockwood and Mawson, with
No 62 opposite their major contribution to the "Little Germany" precinct. Steep
wedge shaped site with curved elevation to Vicar Lane. Five-storeys and tall
basement, sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. The splayed corner faces down
Vicar Lane and is treated as the principal feature of the design; a tier of
double Corinthian columned aedicules framing the doorway and windows above,
graded up to the top floor and separated by modillion corniced entablature.
Large fluted console brackets to projecting eaves cornice. Stepped attic above
surmounted by steep copper dome with iron cresting. Horizontal grooving to
flanking side bays returned to front behind aedicules. The first and second
floor windows to each face are set in panels and round arched with solid curved
pediments on consoles. The third and fourth floors have Venetian windows,
elaborately carved spandrels. The doorway and ground floor windows have concave,
coffered and rusticated surrounds, verniculation to outer part of voussoirs
forming the arches, console keystones. The upper floor levels of the long
ranges to Vicar Lane and Field Street are slightly dropped from those on the
corner. Arcaded ground floor windows under bracketed cornice. Plain windows
on sill bands to upper floors. Console bracketed eaves cornice. Triple,
panelled, corniced chimneys. Rising above end of Vicar Lane front is a large
belvedere tower with small round-headed windows set in vertical panels,
bracketed eaves cornice. The corner contains the main staircase rising full
height in an oval well with moulded soffit to treads, ornate cast iron banisters
and continuous moulded handrail.


Listing NGR: SE1676033137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.